1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CT200h Advice

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by hyp3rmil3r, Mar 22, 2020.

1. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all. I bought a prius from an auction for $800. Still runs and drives flawless, 99% of the time I get over 50mpgs.

The car is really gross though even after my cleaning, and I am worried there may be mold growing inside it. I’ve ozoned it three times now but after awhile a funky musty smell keeps coming back.

Anyhow, with a shuffling of my current garage of cars, I think I’d like to get a more “luxurious” car that gets similar mpgs. Seems the CT200h is the comparable lexus car and it should be comfy with bluetooth, gps, nice audio system, heated/cooled seats etc. My prius is an 05 base and I’d appreciate the features especially now selling my 2014 Avalon.

Is there any problems or things to note on the CT200h? Id get a cheap high mileage older one. My main worry is the HV battery but do they also have head gasket issues like the 2010+ priuses?

iPhone ?

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same powertrain. Clean the exhaust circuit that preheats the intake every 50,000 miles or so and that should handle it.

hyp3rmil3r and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would definitely be more worried about the head gasket and EGR cooler, than the CT’s battery. Unfortunately the 1.8 is plagued with issues. I would love a CT200h as well, but I doubt I ever will because of the known issues with the engine.

That being said, you might get lucky, and get a CT and it might go 300k with no problems!

4. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, maybe run a dehumidifier in the car for a few days? Ozone is great, but too much can damage rubber gasket and seals.

hyp3rmil3r likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you suspect mold, pull up the carpet. It isn't that difficult; had a leak in our Sable, and would do so to dry the padding. The interior plastic door sills will need to be pulled up; they should be just clipped on. Didn't take the carpet out, just propped it up so things could dry underneath. See any mold, bleach it.

The crystal cat litter is the same thing as what is in those desiccant pouches. Liberally toss it around in the car if you need extra drying.

6. hyp3rmil3r

hyp3rmil3r Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks to all for the great replies. I’ll be wary of the aforementioned issues here with the ct200, that really sucks the engine has some finnicky issues that can be catastrophic.

I’ll definitely see if I can dehumidify the car; i need to really diagnose where that water leak under the spare tire is originating and also kill any mold. Now that it’s warming up weather wise I’m noticing the smell more which is a bad bad sign!

7. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tons of post on here about the metal seem crack around the rear hatch door. It is known to fill up the tire well and 12v area with water.

hyp3rmil3r likes this.