1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curing the battery odor and all odors FOR GOOD!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Toddwilks, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After reading all about the common issue surrounding the 2nd Gen and the nasty smell that somehow all of them have, I decided to try and tackle the problem first hand. When I was searching for my 2nd gen a few weeks ago, I noticed they all had the same smell to them. That smell is referred to as a “cow piss” or “horse piss” smell. I just referred to it as musty. Anyway, I came across the post below and read every single line and looked at every link.

News on battery rubber vent smell | PriusChat

After looking into it further, I decided I would order the replacement tubing from modDIY and order a leather punch set to make the holes in the tubing and to replace the factory tubes. As I waited for the tubing to come from China, I thought about another way to do this. At the same time, the previous owner tore the floor carpet so I had to replace that. That got rid of some of the musty smell but it was still there on a hot day.

As a car enthusiast, (current prius, Hellcat challenger, SRT Grand Cherokee owner), I follow a lot of detailers on youtube to learn ways to keep the cars clean, especially the hellcat as its my track car and show car. When I was watching one, they always mentioned about using an ozone generator to get the smoke smell out of a car. I did some more research on how they work, what they do, etc. The problem was some of them were upwards of 600.00!! According to everything I read and watched, the machine had to emit 10,000 mg/h or more to have a real punch at getting the smell out. I wasn’t paying that when I got the car for almost nothing. I went to amazon and found one that had a rating of 10,000 mg/h and was only 100.00! I figured why not try it and see what it does right? Heres a link to the machine I used:

https://amzn.to/2LGZU0u

bisco likes this.
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Todd,

In the grand scheme of things, you could probably just get rid of the rubber. Half the gen 3 batteries I disassemble don't have them. The gen 4 battery modules have the small fitting on the top of the module, but they have no relief valve inside. I don't even know why they have the fittings. A person could probably just remove the black rubber tube and put a few drops of epoxy in each fitting and be done with it. Half the valves are stuck shut after a few years anyway. Any of them that do happen to vent will just be entrained in the cooling air stream and vented to the outside of the car, unless of course you did the epoxy thing.

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller and SFO like this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And just to point it out… you can usually rent the nice big pro ozone rigs for much less than $100. Given that it’s the kind of thing I only need roughly every 3rd or 4th used car, I don’t want to pay for ownership.

4. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried looking to rent one but in NJ it’s very hard to come by for under 300.00.

iPhone ?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!(y)