1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious about inverter temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, Sep 10, 2019.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So one thing I've noticed is that sometimes my inverter is hot to the touch, and sometimes, even after driving for a half-hour, totally cool. I'm not assuming anything is wrong, but I'm just wondering about the mechanism and why the differences in temperature. The coolant res. is full and the pump is working fine and the battery is strong so I don't have any reason to thing there's anything wrong. If you all think it's necessary, I could always plug in techstream and follow the temps after/during different driving conditions. However I don't know the right parameters either, so if you had that to offer, that'd be cool too!

2. DCGen2Prius

DCGen2Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm bumping this old thread - because I'm curious too.

I have been preparing for battery replacement or module swap out/balancing and was doing some driving to day in my neighborhood after changing my transaxle fluid. I am about to change the inverter coolant also. After a bit of nearby driving testing/battery module monitoring with Dr. Prius - I was curious about the inverter coolant - and unscrewed the cap while having it in the not-ready but two power button pushes on state so the inverter coolant pump would run. I verified turbulence in the reservoir and was curious about temperature and felt it with my finger and it was cool to the touch. !?! shouldn't this coolant be warm or hot after some driving? Is this a sign that the weakened battery means it is not running on elec. power very much? Thanks for your thoughts.