1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious cold weather coolant: 50 mph into 25 mph, 43F wind

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Oct 29, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This morning I choose to drive my wife's 2010 to work as we're in a stiff, cold air blast, +25 mph, 43 F, headwind for first six miles. I had expected the exhaust coolant loop to quickly warm-up the coolant and it did, right up to 70C and then it plateaued. This sort of makes sense as 70C is all that is needed for hybrid operation. Normally the engine heads to 82C when the coolant thermostat opens and in hot weather up to 92-95C (fan turns on at 95C.)

In the cold, dense air, headwind, MPG into work did not break 50 MPG. However, I suspect bumper radiator inlet blocks would have brought it back up. Early tests several years ago with a full, cardboard block showed a measurable reduction in vehicle drag.

Bob Wilson

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    See that all the time here in the "cold white north". I installed A/C system pipe insulation a week ago (it's more flexible than the standard ethafoam pipe insulation) in the lower grill, fully blocking it. Pearl S now warms up to the 80s C after about 20 min. Still have to do the upper grill, perhaps this week. It's just below freezing here and has been for a few weeks now. We even have snow. Want some? ;)

3. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Would you mind posting photos of how you installed them and what it looks like please? Thanks!