1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious, is your Prius gen3 paid off by now?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jin, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cash buyer.

2. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow I'll break the mold! I just bought the car 2 months ago and I'm still 30k in the hole!

I have a 48 month at a 0.9% for anyone who's counting.

3. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not even close to being paid off and currently in no hurry to do so. I kept my money in the market and it's doing a little better than selling it off and paying off the loan. If the market turns, then I'll sell and pay off the loan. But until then, I'll just keep paying every month.

Mike

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cash buyer for our last two cars. I'm already saving for our next cars based on 10 year ownership. (I adjust as the MSRPs or "best" cars change and I ignore the resale/trade-in value).

I don't claim it's the best way but I'm not comfortable with debt.

dmvp likes this.
  5. Jin

Jin Blizzard PRIUS 2010, Nav+ solar roof

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not comfortable with debt either, once Prius is pay off I probably won't get another car for 10 years, it's too much of a hassle buying car from dealership.

6. mjones12

mjones12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I couldn't justify taking money that's earning, for instance, 6 percent to buy a car when I could finance that car for 0 percent or even 2 or 3 percent. I'd prefer to use someone else's money and let mine keep working for me.

7. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Purchased our Prius Decemeber 2011 with only a $1000 dollars down payment. We received a 0% loan for 36 months and will have it paid off by the Summer of 2013. The joys of a dual income family with great credit and no kids(for now).

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can always avoid the hassle and pay MSRP AND buy the exterior protection, fabric protection, underbody protection, roadside hazard protection, pre-paid service plan and extended warranty. (And take what they have in stock, with the dealer-added "bonuses" tacked on.) No Hassle!

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everyone's opportunity to invest their cash is different, whether pre-paying the expense of a vehicle is a wise move depends on the other opportunities. Lately I have chosen leasing versus buying, mainly because the cost of borrowing has gone down enough that it doesn't cost much, if anything (because of inflation).

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And pay with cash... lol

11. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You just named all the reasons why I want to avoid buying new car as much as possible, I hate getting rip off and I hate getting cheated on bogus warranties that disappears when you actually need it. Along with random add-ons, and tiny prints that I need to read just to avoid future hassle.

Also because I'm such a penny-pitcher that I only buy what I determine to be money's worth and I shopped around for 2 years with no car before actually purchasing one....actually my dad forced me to buy one, since I was using his mini-van all the time and because I was in college that I have no need for car on campus. I still enjoy riding those shuttles:LOL:

Overall I did manage to get a good deal along with lifetime of maintenance and oil change :D but it took me a lot of effort. Those effort will take another 10 years to buildup before I'm willing to do it again.

12. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cash buyer.
    I suspect Prius buyers pay cash more often than others, or take low interest loans more strategically than others.
    And I suspect folks on this website do these more often than other Prius buyers.

13. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow are you ever picky, and cheap.

14. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another cash buyer.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cash, I figured out a long, long time ago that if I did without or did with less for a while I could eventually buy a lot more stuff if I paid cash and didn't piss away money on interest. Current 0% interest schemes may change that for some smart buyers, but someone is paying for the use of that money so you might be able to negotiate a cash discount if you don't take the 0% interest offer.

Prieth likes this.
  16. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I know I am, this is one habit that I'll never break out of, btw at the time of purchase my dad paid for my car and upto a year of payment before I graduated and got a job. His still insisting on paying my car even after I paid off my student loan. If there was interest rate on my prius loan I would've pay it off immediately.

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well until you have kiddos anyway.... ;)

18. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I still got 2.5 years of payments left on mine.

19. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Negotiating the best price and THEN asking for the 0% financing works--IF the financing is done by the manufacturer, and the effective discount you get from interest free financing is not charged back to the dealer. In that system, the dealer can't give a bigger discount if you don't take the financing.
    That worked for us when we got our 2003 Subaru--I'm not sure how today's 0% deals work, so I don't know if it works now.

Jin likes this.
  20. Jin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got my Prius doing the time when Toyota was being slander in the news for the sudden acceleration issue, so when I came in to negotiate the price I was never inquire about the financing and they didn't push back much regarding my price, I asked for the price I wanted along with the package and perks of free life maintenance.

When we agreed on the price, they ask for credit to see if we're qualify for 0%, it wasn't anything formal since I think they know my dad was going to pay up front if there was no financing. But since I got the 0% financing, we decided to only paid 2500 just for getting some credit card points :) and now this 0% will be building some credit history for me.