1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious, is your Prius gen3 paid off by now?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jin, Oct 25, 2012.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. I would say building a credit history, if it doesn't cost any cash, is a good reason to pay on time.

xs650 likes this.
  2. dhendriksen

dhendriksen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No car payments in my house....titles are in the safe at home.

Droid RAZR HD MAXX

3. Hoosier1

Hoosier1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paid cash, zero household debt and therefore not a slave to the American system. Keep the credit score high by use of credit cards, but the balance is paid in full each month. They can keep the car and house payment books.

Prieth, dmvp and Jin like this.
  4. Jin

Jin Blizzard PRIUS 2010, Nav+ solar roof

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm trying to follow that type of lifestyle as well, don't want any debts, hate to see the current economy situation that we're in.

5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Paid cash for mine too. Not wealthy just got a good one off in royalties.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Another cash buyer. Living debt free comes easy when you live within your means, shift your priorities and employ some willpower. It doesn't absolutely require a two-income family or fantastic salaries (though it does help).

Prieth, Jin and dmvp like this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks to Alabama's 'papers please' law, I paid off my wife's car in October and have the full title . . . not that I wanted it. Probate is a lot easier if the wife's name is on the title. Thankfully, the mortgage is also paid off.

Bob Wilson

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The car was paid off, but when I traded it in for the PIP, I financed the balance because it's at 0% interest. No rush.

9. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. I paid in cash. I'm very frugal - but my Prius was worth every penny. ;)
    Prius squeezes more miles out of every gallon of gas than any car I've ever driven.(y)
    Makes me feel cheap but in a good way... :)

Jin likes this.
  10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not cheap, wise. :D

Jin likes this.
  11. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Paid cash. No interest (and getting interest on savings/investments) is much more fun.

KBeck

12. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    For those of you that are paying cash....

Are you telling the dealer you will take their financing and then simply paying it off right away? The reason I ask that is because it if very well established that you can get a better deal financing.

13. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This CAN be true, if the dealer is supplying the financing OR the dealer gets a kickback for getting a financing deal to the Manufacturer or its associated financing company (Toyota Financing). This may happen for full-market-rate loans.

However, most of the folks who have responded to this thread have taken financing using very low or zero percent financing. These are essentially ways of the Manufacturer putting the car on sale without lowering the amount the dealer pays the Manufacturer or the amount the dealer gets. (However, a low interest loan is sometimes combined with rebates, etc.)
    But the manufacturer and finance company don't really want you to take the very low or zero interest deal, because they don't make any money on that part of the deal. Therefore, they will not be likely to give kickbacks to the dealers for sending you to the company finance co. When there are very low rates, you can expect whatever kickbacks go to the dealer go for the actual sales--so that the dealer has the motive to sell, and may increase its discount whether or not you finance.

If the dealer has to kick in for the low rates (used to be common--I think it is less common now), your nominal price with financing should be higher.

Because I have little information on the current deals that manufacturers offer dealers concerning financing, just remember: YMMV.

14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point about the 0% interest loans. They aren't making the dealer anything and you always have to look at every little variable about how the dealer makes their money.

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In my case, I traded in the 2002 Prius and wrote a check for the difference. Given that it's a One Price, One Person™ dealership, and it was a Prius Priority deal, the price was already set. The only real variable was the trade, and I felt it was a fair amount compared to Edmunds TMV, etc (above wholesale).

16. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried to finance the whole car with a Toyota Visa Credit card and pay off the entire debt in 2 weeks so I could get a ton of Toyota Visa Reward points - for Dealership servicing. Unfortunately Toyota Financials Services would only allow me to finance $5K through the Visa card and the rest had to be in a check. Paid off the $5K Visa debt the moment I got the bill so there was no interest cost - so I have several hundred dollars worth of dealership playdough for oil changes on top of the normal 2 year service agreement. Got my Prius about two months after Congress was raking Toyota over the coals for the runaway Toyotas - the dealerships were giving discounts on cars -any cars. Business was really slow. If I had waited until May the prices would have been lower (by about 100 to 300 dollars) - but the person I was giving away my Accord to really wanted in April - so I bought the Prius in April instead of May. In hindsight, I could have just waited until late May and sold the Accord in June.

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My house is paid off and I paid cash for the 2010 Prius. My previous vehicle was a Toyota 4Runner that I put 305,000 miles over 10 years. It got 16 MPG. I get an average of 54MPG on the Prius.

Here is the math on how much money I saved on gas with the price of gas at $3.50 driving 35,000 miles a year.

Year 1 – 4Runner gas cost $ $7,656.25, Prius $4,537.04
    Year 2 – 4Runner gas cost $ $15,312.50, Prius $ $2,268.52
    Year 3 – 4Runner gas cost $ $ $22,968.75, Prius $6,805.56
    Year 4 – 4Runner gas cost $ $ $30,625.00, Prius $9,074.07

That comes to $21,550.93 savings over 4 years. That is like getting a free Prius.

bwilson4web, Jin and dmvp like this.
  18. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    just paid it off this morning!

mmmodem, WolfpackBill and Sporin like this.
  19. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup. Bought in Dec.2010 at 0% financing and paid off in 5 years as contracted. Car is still going strong and I expect to have it a full 5 years of paid off driving.

20. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This month will be number 60 and the car will be paid off. I'm excited to cut my insurance by 2/3 as I no longer need collision or comprehensive.