1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious: When parking, what do YOU do?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J5A, Jan 19, 2011.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone confirm this? Then why the "debate" and defensiveness from either side? If the owners manual say's either is fine...then either is fine...

Shut your car off, whichever way you want.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you compare it to a PC, I'd suggest that it's not like holding the button in and doing a hard reset. It's just like selecting shutdown or like a single quick press that your OS often is set to respond to as an instruction to go into standby.

There is a hard reset in the Prius, since you can force the engine off while running.

I use the park button when I want to park but not turn the car off immediately. I don't think you're nuts to do it your way as your sequence makes it more likely that you'll turn off all the accessories. I sometimes curse when I've forgotten to turn off the stereo or climate control before shutting down and will then turn the car back on into accessory mode so I can turn them off again.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It depends. Am I listening to the end of a song? I'll press PARK, finish rocking out, then press POWER.

Am I in a hurry? I'll press POWER, then grab my fob and run.

1 person likes this.
  4. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FTR 2010 manual: p. 163 eludes or translates either method is fine.

Glad to read so many others are also using the e-brake. I'm trying to use it 100% - not fond of the locale - I prefer a hand e-brake, but that's for another thread. :D

5. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't know that !!

Thanks !!

REV

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.

As much as I love reading long arguments on the difference between six and half a dozen, it really boils down to personal preference.
    There's always going to be somebody out there that will call you an idiot because you put the toilet paper on the holder the wrong way.....:rolleyes:

7. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I press park and let my five year old press the power button. He gets a kick out of it all the time.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow, you're turning into evpv. I couldn't care less which method people use but why are you so defensive about the Park button?

9. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sit in my car and listen to What Drives Us

10. Kutanks

Kutanks Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always press park 1st usually when I arrive at my destination I take a few seconds to organize my shit before getting out of the car. While im doing this i like to keep the tunes on. I also use the ebrake as a safety precaution just in case.

1 person likes this.
  11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For those wondering why there is a Park button if you don't need to use it, there are two reasons:

1) Park is a required position for all automatic transmissions.

2) Sometimes you want to park without powering down the car.

It's not magic. Pressing the Power button directly does the same thing as first pressing Park, and then Power. If you want to do it yourself, have at it, but it isn't any better.

Tom

3 people like this.
  12. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just press power. Why have 2 steps when 1 works?

Here's what the owner's manual says:

Stopping the hybrid system
    Stop the vehicle.
    Press the “POWER†switch.
    Check that the shift position indicator on the instrument
    cluster is set in “Pâ€.
    Set the parking brake. (→P. 179)
    Release the brake pedal and check that the indicator on the
    “POWER†switch is off.
    If you stop the hybrid system without setting the shift position to
    “Pâ€, the shift position will be shifted to “P†automatically. You can
    also shift the shift position to “P†by pressing the “P†position
    switch.

13. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1. I press the Park button.
    2. Then I open the driver's door to check that I am parallel with the markings (in the Gen III, I have the toughest time making sure I'm aligned properly - didn't have this problem with the Gen II).
    3. If necessary, I make adjustments, and repeat steps 1 and 2.
    4. When satisfied, I press Park and the e-brake.
    5. Press the Power button.
    6. Open the door and exit the car.

If I skip steps 1 and 2, I might have to start over after step 6.

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NO! Evpv is turning into ME.

15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    What I used to do is: press "P" 3 times, apply the E-brake twice, press the "POWER" button then get out and place a chock in front of and behind each wheel and tether the car to the nearest 2 street lights via the front and rear towing/lash down eyes. I had no problems with the car rolling away doing this.
    But now I just press the Power button, cos the usual routine was making me late for appointments.

Danielsan and Rae Vynn like this.
  16. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I press park then power down. The rationale i have for this (could very well be bull crap, but who knows) is that i've read when you put the car in park it moves a parking prowl (sp?) which is electronically activated. If you do this while the car is still in ready mode, the electricity is coming from the HV battery through the inverter, if you just turn the car off, i always figured the electricity would come from the wimpy 12 volt and would run it down just a little bit sooner. Also why i turn the headlights off before hitting power, so that there is as minimal drain to the 12 volt battery as possible.

My 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I suspected something like this. If I ever sell my car I'll be sure to advertise that it was properly parked every time. That should help its values against the rest of y'all's.

Yep. Best to close the circuits.

18. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well you flirt with disaster by skipping these two important, necessary steps: placing 3 foot day-glo cones at each corner and igniting two red signal flares.

It's right there in the manual in bold print; section XVIV, page 991c.

:p

19. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek:Wow, this thread has a lot of life over the question of whether to press 1 or 2 buttons! It's funny to read how much energy people put into a subject that actually requires no discussion other than to waste time. You can do one or the other - there is no difference or benefit. If you think there is, you made it up with no rationale. If you think I'm FOS, then conduct a detailed study and prove me wrong.:p

1 person likes this.
  20. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    These were exactly my thoughts. I put the toilet paper so the end is away from the wall. Does this matter any more than which button I use to turn the car off with? No!

This is what I do and why. It's a carry-over from more primitive cars with different transmissions.

That's just speculation and I am pretty sure incorrect (with some speculation on my part). The Prius has embedded software, which is different than a PC. First, no disk drive, second, the human interface can be controlled however they want it to, with nobody adding other programs or devices, expansion cards, etc. So when you push the power-off button, all the UI items will power-off to give the illusion it is off. But really there's plenty of power still doing some cleanup and shutdown operations. Your headlights (if on) will remain on until the car door is opened. The interior light will stay on for several seconds after the car door is closed. On the 2004-2009 model, the coolant will be sucked back into the thermos, and there's some other pumps or gizmos making noise as well. Then most systems really are off, but there's the little red LED that blinks, and if you have SKS, that monitoring system will still be operational, and of course every Prius will be listening for fob button presses indefinitely.

The only way to do a 'hard' power-off is to remove fuses or the 12-volt battery.

It's better than your set-top box connecting your TV to the satellite or cable system. When you power that off with the remote, the only thing it does is turn off a couple LEDs. If you monitor the amps going into that you will see what a watt-waster that is. (They say it's to keep the channel guide updated, etc. but in reality it's just a little easier in engineering and saves a few pennies in parts to not have a way of turning most the electronics actually off).

1 person likes this.