1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious... why use "iPod Connection Kit" when USB works fine?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by talkin73, Jul 24, 2010.

1. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    now, how do I add it to my early (07/2009) III with Nav? :(

2. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you search for a particular album if you have hundreds of them when connected to USB? How?
    If you're using the NAV system with an iPhone and bluetooth to play music, what happens when you get a call on your iPhone?
    If you are going faster than 12MPH, does the NAV screen control of your iPod grey out?

3. mobyhead

mobyhead New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, you can search for a particular album. But the screen only displays about 8 items (8 playlists, 8 albums, 8 songs, and so forth) at a time, and you have to hold down the scroll button to advance screens, which can be a bit slow. A small progress slider shows how far through the list you are as you hold that button down.

Whichever music source you're listening to, it gets muted when a phone call comes in.

I have not seen the iPod control screen gray out above any particular speed.

4. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you a Toyota/Prius Dealer?

5. mobyhead

mobyhead New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I almost wish I was, I'd be able to upsell the Nav system to iPod and iPhone owners like a boss. But I learned all this the hard way: I bought a Prius 3 with the JBL & XM, bought the iPod connector kit with it, wasn't interested in the Nav. The dealer didn't even try to upsell me on the Nav. But he should have, because the iPod connector kit doesn't work with the JBL & XM, it only works on the plain vanilla sound system of the Prius 2 (or so they subsequently figured out...the dealer, the dealership, the service department, none of them knew this until they tried, unsuccessfully, several times, to get the kit to work with my JBL & XM). And Toyota makes all this clear as mud in the brochure. It took much negotiating to get them to let me swap my Prius for one with the Nav system without charging an arm and a leg in depreciation, and even then, they would not give me the color I wanted. I had to call around and give them a VIN from another dealership a couple hundred miles up the freeway to prove to them that what I wanted was still available in the color I wanted.

6. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't find the Playlist tab in the USB menu on my iPod....ahhhhh!!!!!! I have over 6,000 songs neatly organized on playlists. FOUND IT, I'm an Idiot.

7. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2011 Prius III, JBL, no nav. And it does not have an USB port. Darn. I ended up hooking up the Dice Silverline Pro (i-toyota-r-5V). At first I had some trouble, but after resetting the IPOD, it works fine. Everything works: AM, FM, XM, CD Changer, and IPOD. I put the dip switches on the DICE unit to lock the IPOD and MP3 setting for the car.

I'm happy.

8. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even more curious, why are you bothering with the USB if you can use the bluetooth and never take it out of your pocket (other than giving is a charge)?

9. adamsmom

adamsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a prius 2010 IV with nav but it does not have a USB port. I have been trying to connect via bluetooth my iphone. I got the phone part to work but can not get the audio stuff to connect. I go into set up auto, bluetooth then try to register the iphone it will not find it?

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    delete the phone in the nav system, then connect it via the AUX input screen. It might connect to the audio system first, then the phone.

11. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Just an update, I'm not that happy any more. It seems if I go to another input (radio, XM, cd's) that the IPOD won't work unless I reset it. I'm trying another setting right now to see if that fixes it.