1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

curious....your top speed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by has been, Jun 10, 2012.

1. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Or maybe the police report ...:(

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I was thinking: if I'm going the top speed of the car, the last thing on my mind is checking the accuracy of the speedo.

I rarely surpass 80 km per hour, lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have. They're equal when using 205/60 tires

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. Ojwasguilty

Ojwasguilty New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One

I set the cruise control at 105 at least once a week and get just under 21mpg doing so. However, the fastest I got ol ius going was 112 on a very straight and level highway at 4am. How did he handle under those speeds? A lot better than I had predicted. As long as i keep very calm, so does my Prius. Once I'm past 105 though, it would be a stretch to describe it as comfortable. Man oh man does a proper wheel alignment and some Michelins do a Prius well at those speeds as well.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my way to San Diego, the car is so smooth you hit 85 without even trying. Haven't gone faster.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what the terminal velocity is for a G4.......

It used to be that auto enthusiast mags did this for cars, but I haven't seen those data for Priuses.
    Given the BHP and the Cd of Priuses I would expect them to be electronically speed limited rather than drag limited, and if I'm right it would be interesting to see how tight you could wring one out on salt......with the hobbles removed. :D

#126 ETC(SS), Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Under power maybe 70 mph while passing a slower vehicle. My max speed is driver limited to 65 mph.

The fastest I ever went was in neutral on a long four lane down hill and hit 100 before I hit the brakes. It just kept accelerating and I didn't really want to know what she would really do. I was testing the aerodynamics of the Prius and was surprised after owning Volvo's (Bricks) with Cd's .36 to .40 all my life, which not one of them would go over 75-80 in neutral down hill due to air resistance.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hit 94 while catching up to get a license plate of a vehicle that had a feud with bicyclists in an organized event, spewed angry words at a rest stop crew, and nearly hit some riders and me car while throwing gravel and recklessly leaving the scene without checking the road as I pulled up.

Now I have a dashcam to record evidence.

9. The MCA

The MCA Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    116mph (indicated), 2013 on 15's, Eco Mode, +/-30mpg, not even full power load. Felt better than my '01 did at 110+!

Attached Files:

Ojwasguilty likes this.
  10. HighSpeedLowDrag

HighSpeedLowDrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At 5:30 am, indicated 115, I would have gone faster but my exit was approaching. I always use a Valentine 1 radar detector and light the road with b-xenon Morimoto mini 4.0 D2S w/ 4500k Morimoto bulbs.

xerox6135 likes this.
  11. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wich Prius model does 120mph?

13. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine. 2008 haven't you tried?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. Rathsolymar

Rathsolymar New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2013 Prius v (the real wagon), U.S. model driving it mostly in continental Europe and in former Soviet Union (UA, RU, BY).
    It drives pretty much OK (have Russian winter tires instead of original ones) with 105 mph. The max I can get out of it was 106 mph. Me driving the car with 105 mph is not uncommon. I tried today the local Toyota dealership in Hungary to lift the artificial 105 mph limit, they can't, their software is not set for that. Other than that no prob. The mileage at 105 mph (and Russian winder tires) is not great, around 21. The handling is fine. True, the roads where I can (more-less legally) drive the car with that speed are much better than anything in the States. The quality of the Euro-95 gasoline is a dismal, at least from the point of view of mpg. The standard Soviet 92 is much better. There are some places in Western Ukraine where I can tank and drive well over 500 miles on that tank. Same for RU or BY. Always the cheapest Russian / BY gas.

The car still has the original U.S. plates - it is sometimes a blast to drive it in these places. I can't complain, I do not have attention. I am native in some local languages = no communication problems.

If anyone is curious: my avatar is my Prius v with U.S. plate parking on the main street of Suzdal, Russia.
    So far so good. My only serious encounter with the authorities was next day in Vladimir. I was pulled over for no apparent reason. Unlike most Europe (but like in UK, USA or Canada) no one is allowed to pull over your car in Russia for no reason, having American license plates is NOT a valid reason. The cop was stuttering some nonsense and idiotic things and I went ballistic. That was enough for him and he let me in peace. My friend told me, the most likely reason was that I was driving slowly while looking for a parking place. The cop did see foreign plates and was suspicious that like many foreign tourists I had few glasses of booze more, than what is allowed (and in Russia, like in Hungary or Ukraine or Belarus NOTHING is allowed!). As I started to protest, the cop did see immediately that there was no drink involved, they (unfortunately) have the experience. That was good enough for him.

It is very unlikely anyone here will drive own car in this area - most likely it will be a rental car. Regardless, DUI is one of the highest possible offense in the area and the fines are sadistic. In Belarus and now in Ukraine your car will be confiscated. In Russia or Hungary you very well will be introduced to the local prison system for a few days ("until fully sober"), the next fun will be $1000 - $3000 fine from the judge and your D/L mailed back to U.S. (or local U.S. consulate)... Anyway, quite worse than any "overspeed" ticket. It is possible to talk yourself out of the overspeed ticket but never out of DUI.

RMB likes this.
  15. Steven Yuzon

Steven Yuzon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Was cruising on a stretch in NC on US95 and was keeping pace with this other guy and got my indicated to 119mph, but the image only shows when I was at 115mph.

♡myPeeus and douglasjre like this.
  16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No it doesn't the 2008 does 108. It's governed. How are you claiming your car does more than that?

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If he puts on large enough diameter tires, he could do higher speeds, but the speedometer will still read 108.

18. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    165 going into turn 12 at Circuit of the Americas....oh wait that wasn't in my prius

♡myPeeus likes this.
  19. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Headed to Las Vegas couple years ago top speed was 119 mph . Guess the govenor was removed. Or I was seeing things.

20. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why does the manual say the speedometer says 188 mph. What the heck?