1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

current consensus; when did you perform your 1st/2nd oil changes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pjam, Jun 2, 2011.

1. El Pollo Diablo

El Pollo Diablo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Out of curiosity, I see a lot of posts in this thread mentioning their first oil and filter changes at 1000-1500 miles. Is there advantage(s) in doing so vesus wait until 10K or 1 year?

Also, will it be covered under the 2-year Toyota Care program if I decide to follow that advice?

2. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every 10K per Toyota

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not covered at all, dealer will probably tell you to save your money.

I did it because the new engine casting has a lot of silicone, and maybe other junk, and not all of it gets washed out. Also I am told the new engine will have some metal shavings when it first runs. Again a lot of people will tell you that the silicone and shavings don't hurt anything. They may be right but I decided to do an early change anyway. I do my own changes and the cost of 5 quarts of 0W20 Mobil 1 and a Toyota filter is only about $37.

So maybe it helps; maybe it's just a feel good thing.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!

Give them a break!
    They're just forum cops. Every forum has them.
    They're pretty harmless and besides...Andy makes them keep the bullet in their front pocket.
    Your lucky. Usually they screech at folks for not using the search function.
    So...here's my answer.
    My company uses G3's in their fleet now. They're maintenance philosophy is pretty simple. All vehicles are changed at 5K miles.
    Yeah...I know. No help there.
    From what I've read the 10K rule has been working out pretty well for Toyota since Dec 2009, although there probably needs to be more time for data (and sludge) to build up.
    Interestingly enough...the G10 Corolla has the same motor (minus the Atkinson cycle) and they're on the old 5K schedule AFAIK.
    So...go figure.
    The G3 has a CVT, and the motor isn't started up the same way as the one in the Corolla, and there's probably 10-20% more run time in the Corolla motor for the same miles driven----so that probably helps.
    I wouldn't sweat it unless you KNOW you're going to keep the car for 250,000 miles or so...and even then, I wouldn't sweat it much.

Good Luck with your car!
    Ignore Deputy Fife. He always forgets his ticket book back at the station.
    :cool:

5. dctalk523

dctalk523 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my oil changed at 5050. Used a coupon, but found out Longo Toyota had a better deal. Next oil change will be at 15,050 and free.

6. El Pollo Diablo

El Pollo Diablo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your advice, I will definitely follow it. I have other quick questions.

When would be the good time to do this 1K miles oil change if I won't reach it for another 50 days (averaging at 15 miles per day)? I have my car for 2 weeks now, who knows how old that oil is sitting at the dealer.

Will the end of this month be too soon to get rid of those silicone and metal shavings?

Thanks again for your helps.

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is certainly no consensus on exactly what mileage is best for the first change. I did mine at about 1500 miles because it fit into my schedule but earlier should be OK. I think you could do it at your convenience.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am like Tumbleweed and change my oil every 5K miles even though I know it can go to 10K. The cost of the oil is cheap insurance to me and I recycle the oil so no waste.

My main reason, other than being old school, is that it gives me a good reason to crawl under the car and inspect the underside more often.

9. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it depends on style of your driving and the mode you are in.
    if you in power mode with long up hill acceleration i would change sooner.
    I would do every 5k vs.10k.
    I wonder, since we dont switch gears and rpm never drops during gears changes, would that means that this engine with cvt would have to work harder vs. 1.8 corolla engine with manual or auto tranni.
    What you say on that?
    c

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drive in Normal mode and do not do any hard driving but just prefer to change my oil at 5k. It is just a personal thing, makes me feel better. Also, I plan to keep this car for a long time.

Since the Prius ICE does not run all of the time it is actually easier on the engine than ICE only cars. Also, the computer tries to keep the ICE in its "sweet spot" and trims power needs by adjusting loading on the electric motors. So the Prius ICE is probably easier on its engine than most other cars on the road today.

11. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish Prius had a tachometer just to see what the heck is going on.
    C

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Scan Gauge sold here will give you a choice of 4 gauges to display. Out of the box you can have a tach, coolant temp, 12V battery voltage, and quite a few others. Using the X gauge feature you can create a bunch of others. You can also use it to turn off the extra seatbelt beeps and reduce the backup beeper to one beep vice continuous.

It just plugs in to the ODB to the left of the steering column and you can mount it with velcro wherever you wish.

http://priuschat.com/shop/advanced_...id=e7740affe779a151b18bb7d697a665a3&x=12&y=10

Here is our Scan Gauge thread, it is long but it has answers to almost every conceivable Scan Gauge question.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...discussion/64406-scangaugeii-work-2010-a.html

13. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    1587 miles followed by 5400 miles. :)

14. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Past oil changes:
    1st 2,866
    2nd 7,657
    3rd 14,881
    4th 22,212
    5th 31,102

Future oil changes will be at or about 8,000 miles which is the Michelin recommended outside limit for rotating tires. This will allow me to rotate the tires at the same time I change oil and minimize the DIY time I spend working on the car.

15. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did my first oil change at 3,000 miles at the dealer. I supplied the Mobil 1 0w-20 and Toyota filter and they did the work-- and charged me $20 for labor.

Next oil change will be at the 10,000 mile mark, then every 10,000 miles thereafter since I do mostly highway driving. However, if my driving later turns into mostly short trip driving, I will reduce my intervals to 5,000 miles.

16. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Serviced the second time at the dealership as part of Toyota Hawaii Care at 10,625 miles. I had 9,552 miles on the oil I had the service technician take an oil sample for me. On Friday the 29th of July I mailed off the oil sample taken to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis.