1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current PHEV kit/DIY recommendations

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by cgates30, May 19, 2012.

1. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

I've got an '06 Prius which I bought new with the idea of converting it after it went off warranty. Well, that time passed a long time ago and I haven't seen the widespread availability of kits that I had hoped would appear on the market. In the early days I followed the Calcar/EAA-PHEV projects but those seem to be pretty quiet now. I've looked at the Enginer system and I don't believe it will meet my needs and the recent problems Navy has had with PIS has steered me clear of that direction.

So, is there a current outline available of all parts needed to build a kit with a discussion of the pros/cons for the different available options?

I want the system to run EV mode with MG1/2 turning at highway speeds (65 mph) and to be able to get 20 miles in EV mode at city speeds (<40 mph). Ideally the batteries would regen with braking, but really that's just a want.

Looking on the Ewert site, they have a basic outline of components:
    Battery pack
    charger
    BMS
    temperature control system
    integrations system

Do these bullets cover the system, if so where can I find more specifics and comparisons of different components?

Thanks

2. danwisdom

danwisdom 2004 and 2005 prius owner

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a conversion that I am selling. I will sell the entire car, or just the conversion. The details of the conversion can be found at Boulder Hybrid Conversions. It is the 10kw conversion. The car is a 2004 prius. I would sell the conversion for $8K. I would also consider a trade for your prius if interested.

Thanks!
    Dan

3. cgates30

cgates30 Junior Member

Thanks. I'll keep this option in mind, but I'm hoping to map out the requirements for a system and then look at optimizing the system, etc.

Any resources that start at a high level and drill down to the details?