1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current Prius owners. Did any buy a Prius to replace a fast car?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bmr4life, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I'm currently in the market to replace my 2011 mustang with a sedan. I drive 17k miles a year and currently get 20 mpg combined which works out to ~$250 a month for premium gas. I'm considering a Prius because I can half my monthly gas bill and get a station wagon (which I've always liked).

My main concern is that I have been spoiled by my upgraded Mustang's power. I've read that the Prius does 0-60 in roughly ~12secs. My mustang does 0-115mph in same amount of time. I know I don't go that fast all the time, but being able to pass people easily and shoot gaps on the highway is definitely a nice advantage.

So have any of you gone from a fast car to your Prius? How did you adjust?

I should say I do plan on buying another project car down the line that would be purely for racing, not daily driving.

2. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

I kept my fast car and only drive it on pretty days or when I just have to go fast.

BCP likes this.
  3. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    So how do you feel when driving the Prius? Are you ever frustrated by the lack of acceleration?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius v has all the power an adult might need, just not all the power a boy might want.

I have owed cars with as little as 59 HP, (Mazda GLC) the Prius is MUCH peppier.

It is decepive as it never shifs, so you never feel that jerk when you change RPMs.

90% of my driving is on two lane roads with farm equipment, I am never afraid to pass.

5. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

yes, but then I remember the PWR button, the little prius will shoot off like a rocket, spin the tires and even hop. It reminds me of the GTI I almost bought instead, but with better MPG allthough not as good looking> I do like this car and think it is attractive, but let's be real it does not have that "WOW" factor of a fast or sporty looking car. I waited until my sports car was paid off to buy my Prius so that I could have the best of both worlds. bob

6. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

well this "boy" @ 52 yrs old still enjoys a rush once in awhile....lol

7. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the replies. Most morning I have to merge from the center turning lane into a 45-55mph pack of cars without a lot of distance for speeding up (there have been a few head on accidents in the center lane). In my current car its fun, lol. Just wanting to make sure I can manage that with the Prius.

As for having the second car, I'll have to wait a little bit. Probably 2-3 years and then I'll pick up a street legal project car for $10-15k with goals of running 10's in the 1/4 mile.

8. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that the PWR button is a new feature not on older Priuss (?) But I'm not afraid on any on ramps with it

9. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. I'm trying to be as frugal as I can be, but its not bad. My current note is $400 plus the $250 a month for gas. I'd take the same $400 and put it towards a Prius (60 mo) and pocket the gas savings. If I can get a 2012 Prius for even less, that'd be a Bonus.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  10. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The important thing to think about is how much gas money you'll be saving that you can put towards that project car you'll be investing in.

Also, the Prius is as much a chick magnet as the Rustang. Granted, a different type of chick. You'll probably be appealing more to the "hippiechick" crowd from this point. :D

PLSPUSH likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...hmm not sure a Prius can do 115 mph. A couple people got tickets doing 105 though.

12. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Ha, I'm married with a kid on the way. IE, why I need a new car.

13. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You adjust, and enjoy the car for other qualities. I went from a BMW w/ a sport package to a Prius IV.

The BMW had power and it could make sharp turns with confidence. However the car was crazy expensive with Premium gas, higher insurance, expensive repairs and mind numbing maintenance bills.

The Prius is a reprieve. You enjoy other aspects of the car, the best MPG, it's frugal qualities, the advanced electronics, the solar roof, reliability, clean technology etc. The Prius is also roomy and comfortable and easy to get in and out. It starts to be the family car of choice.

My gasoline bill was from $250-$320 per month. It now ranges from $80-$116

This will also be the summer I can take a better vacation since I started a vacation fund with the money I saved on gas and repairs. I also seem to have a few extra Benjamins in my wallet now a days.

jonb505 and Bmr4life like this.
  14. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the gas savings. I'm also looking into what modifications people have done to make these cars handle better. :) I see Eibach springs, sway bars, braces. I'd probably get all of those. My wife drives a 2012 328i which is a FANTASTIC CAR, but way too expensive for me. She'll be trading it in when the free maintenance runs out.

JMD likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I left my car stock but I only had it 6 months. There are plenty of mods but they do add up.

16. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yeah. There are some items that I know will be added on. Partly because I just like to tinker with and work on stuff.

A stereo will happen. I already have a couple amps and a sub sitting in my garage. I've been doing research on how much a Prius can handle (amperage wise). I'll probably trade down from my 1500w-rms sub amp to a more practical 300 to 500w-rms unit. All the door speakers and HU will have to go. Won't be super high end stuff since I don't already have that laying around.

Probably get some 35% tint to help keep the interior cool.

The suspension components mentioned earlier if I find the ride too bouncy and get sea sick from body roll.

And some 16 or 17" rims if the Prius I buy comes with 15"s.

JMD likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be for the Gen1, 2000-2003. Gen2 (2004-9) was faster. Gen3 liftbacks (2010+) are rated just under 10 seconds, 'v' wagons a bit slower. But this isn't something that I have ever checked or watched.
    The PWR button started with the 2010 model. But I'm not afraid on any ramps without it. It changes pedal feel, not actual power.

Bmr4life likes this.
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stereo for sure.

19. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. That helps also. I'm going back and forth on the Prius V because I just love a large interior (coming from my super cramped trunk). So that pushes me to 2012. If I find the regular Prius adequate in size, I'd look for a certified 2011.

Also, just under 10 seconds isn't that bad. My wife's previous car was a 2005 ford focus. 0-60 was somewhere around that and it was definitely manageable. Good news.

20. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I gave the dealer my BMW 328XI Coupe and the change under the seat. The BMW had a lousy ride (I blame thee run flat tires). It was quick but I'm finding I do not or miss the quickness. The awkwardness inherent in the design of the BMW coupe makes the little C seem spacious. Premium is up over $4 so I've more than halved my fuel cost.

JMD likes this.