1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current Prius vs Current Prius PiP

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by PixelRogue, May 10, 2018.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 Prius /// (v,) and a 2012 PiP. While you get about 11 miles to a charge, it isn't like you have access to a charger (or outlet) most of the day, and the mileage difference between the two cars is negligible at best. I would go further and say mileage is slightly better on the 2010 because the ride is easier when pulse/glide or coasting, where the PiP has more resistance at all stages... as well as likely a little heavier with the battery.

Anyone on this forum have experience with the current model Prius and its PiP brother? Is PiP worth it?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty much the opposite of most of the reports here. i have never had a gen 3 lift back only gen 2.
    if you don't do much local driving, it may be a toss up. i do a lot of errands within ev range, much cooler than having the engine start every time i back out of the garage.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PiP should actually get better mileage (and both PiP vs. Gen 3 and Prime vs. Gen 4 owners with similar driving styles/terrain will show that). The reason is that the larger battery of the PiP can hold more regen and also allow for greater EV driving. This is especially useful if you traverse a mountain pass or some sort of hill that regularly fills up your Gen 3's battery.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The is an extra cost for the Prime, and how long before the extra mileage would hit break even? Obviously varies per person, yet seems like you'd never hit the break even for the extra cost to plug it in.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup. I had a 2010 gen-3 and a 2012 PHV. The plug-in was nicer.

Of course, that's all moot now with gen-4 and Prime.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes but!:cool: The question is, anyone with gen 4 and prime feel the prime gets better mpg’s?
    If you think a 2010 liftback gets better mpg’s than a pip, i’m not sure you will believe the answer.:whistle:

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports I believe measured a little lower MPG for the PiP due to the extra weight, but most users here reported it was better MPG (without plugging in).

The PiP gives you plug-in capability with no loss in cargo space, which is quite large in Gen3 (you do lose a little under floor space). PiP has a little smaller gas tank, no spare tire, and little less space under the false floor. So if you are not plugging in, your cruise range is a little lower.

If you are religious about plugging in, a number of owners got quite a high % EV mileage out of their PiPs despite the smaller battery.

PiP's are good in Ca. due to free HOV. Pretty soon the HOV stickers expire, but if you have a used PiP that never had Ca. HOV stickers, it qualifies for new HOV stickers to 2022.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    O/p is asking about prime, he is not impressed with his pip.