1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current scientific knowledge does not substantiate Ban Ki-Moon assertions on weather and climate

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by mojo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do those 125 know anyway? Undoubtedly paid off by big oil. :rolleyes:

I see Syun-Ichi Akasofu, is on the list. He was my adviser, albeit just a short time.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The Financial Posts' header includes these words, with which I agree completely:
    "Policies need to focus on preparation for, and adaptation to, all dangerous climatic events, however caused"

The text of the open letter includes:
    "The funds currently dedicated to trying to stop extreme weather should therefore be diverted to strengthening our infrastructure..."

Which is notably different. The signatories want to reassign funds. I can only guess that the funds currently dedicated refer to researching the science or limiting CO2 emission or stimulating CO2 sequestration. Something like that. Even if their qualifications were more illustrious than stated, it would not be for them to decide such things.

Would it?I mean, really.

It is timely, during COP 18 and all And as I suggested earlier, easy to anticipate

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A related commentary in Nature Climate Change starts like this:

"There is a growing and urgent need to improve society's resilience to climate-related hazards and better manage the risks and opportunities arising from climate variability and climate change."

doi:10.1038/nclimate1745

I have asked the authors for a copy of the paper. Anyone else could as well. I cannot remember every having had such a request not fulfilled.

But the words (so far) sound appropriate

"risks and opportunities" like something good may happen. What and where would seem important questions.

"climate variability" stated in addition to climate change suggests that the authors recognize that variability (and events and hazards) would occur, even if CO2 was 280 ppm and flat. This is important to recognize, IMHO earth-system scientist do recognize it. Like the Financial Post said above
    "...all dangerous climatic events, however caused"

Phillipines just got another hurricane (called typhoons there). For the purpose of recovery and (possibly) preparing better for the next one, it matters little or not at all whether this one is attributable (whole or part) to anthropogenic causes.