1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current state of satellite options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Hryb, May 26, 2008.

1. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am still on the fence regarding Sirius and XM. I want to get an integrated solution for the car, so my question is really about the modules that plug into my 2007 sat ready JBL.

I know that we now have a pretty good (and affordable) Sirius option with the SS-C1/Toy-SSC1 combo, but what about XM?

Are there any new XM options that are as affordable ?
    I remember about a year ago, there was a Terk unit floating around, but I can't seem to find that anymore.

I guess the bigger question is why is Sirius innovating and XM stalled for us? (or am I missing something?)

FWIW: I prefer the music / playlists on XM, but I don't want to spend time and money installing and XM unit it in if it's technological dead end. Of course, I am making some assumptions about the pending (can you say pending after 15 months?!) merger and their programming plans.

Side note: Has anyone done an audio comparison? In all of the rental cars I have tried with XM, their audio sounds thin to my ears compared to the Sirius audio I have heard in other rental cars. My comments are around the music stations...I know the talk stations are extremly compressed.

2. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can't speak to the relative qualities of Sirius and XM. But U.S. Dept. of Justice approved the "merger"of the companies in March. Delay now is for FCC approval.

I say "merger" in quotes because Sirius actually will take over XM according to publicity. That could be the reason XM is not moving forward on programming.

That's also why I'm waiting to get satellite radio. I don't know if the new company will contain all the programming on both services, and I don't know which technology will survive.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    from what i read, the xm unit is more expensive then the sirius combo, but its only one unit and not two separate devices

4. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have both systems. Depends on wether its MLB season or NFL season.
    I have a Siruis Sportster and an XM MY-FI which I use with the AUX input. I really dont see the need for a factory installed system. I have a Sirius installed system once but couldnt see the added cost when I bought the Prius.

By the way they both use the identical antenna.