Currently Available Prius PHEV Mods?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pyromaster114, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly in many areas a hybrid pays the same extra fee as a PHEV negating any payback on the system.

2. hydrowindandsolar

hydrowindandsolar New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey all,
    So I just bought my first Prius (2004 model) in August, and I've been doing some thinking and research on this topic. I right away purchased a Prolong Charger (haven't bought the discharger yet), and when I was installing it I went ahead and took the cover off of the traction/NiMH battery pack and studied it a while. As someone mentioned previously, there are 14 wire connections in there besides the 2 primaries.

One thought that I've been considering is simply taking a second NiMH pack and essentially using jumpers to connect all 16 wires to the same position in the second pack. This way you shouldn't have to modify anything else, because you'd have the same chemistry and everything, you'd just be doubling the amp/hour capacity. Additionally, I believe you should be able to use a Prolong Charger to bulk charge the pack, but you'd want to stop short of the balancing charge for regular use. I suppose you could even use a 120volt relay along with some sort of voltage sensing circuit to turn off the Prolong Charger when it reached the desired voltage.
    The drawback to this is that you're still using the relatively expensive NiMH batteries.

I'd be interested in this as well.

3. richmke

richmke Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If it were just a matter of delivering power, you would only need 2 wires. Given that they have 16 wires, those additional 14 wires do something. One thing I can think of is that the ECU monitors each bank individually. You can't have two Bank 1's, Bank 2's, etc. The ECU will get confused really quickly with 2 Bank 1's sending different signals.

4. hydrowindandsolar

hydrowindandsolar New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah, those additional wires just monitor the voltage every 12 cells (2 modules) throughout the pack.
    In the picture below; where the green circles are there are jumpers connecting the modules in series, and where the blue circles are there are jumpers, as well as one of the additional wires connected to the jumper(wish I had gotten a pic of the connections). Another thing this pic reminds me of is the temp sensor (green wire laying on top of the pack). If the second pack has its own cooling system, I don't think you should have to worry about that. [note also that the white thing around the orange wire, to the left of the blue circles, is the current flow sensor] Prius Battery (connections).jpg

So, the below sketch/diagram shows how they're hooked up, and if you add the second battery as shown it should all act as 1 battery. Prius Battery Sketch.png

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds good, please let us know how you make out!

maybe pick up a salvage gen 2 or 3 pack? even 4 might work