1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CURT 1 1/4 trailer hitch on 2107 Four doesn't quite fit

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Frogerelli, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    CURT Model #11473

Basically the hitch mount is a 1/4" plate of steel that goes between the car frame and the metal bumper. This pushes the bumper rearward by that same 1/4". In my case it means each end of the bumper now hits the black lower fascia on the bumper cover, pushing it outward a bit. Though I am likely the only person using the car who will notice it, that doesn't make me happy.

Has anyone else had that experience and found a way to rectify it? I could probably hammer in the left and right edges of the bumper to get more clearance, but I would prefer to find a less aggressive solution.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can tell you that the Curt hitch has the most horrible fitment. There were many complaints about that when i bought mine.

I spent a long time elongating the mount holes years and years ago for my 07's 1 1/4 hitch.
    Sounds like they still suck.

How hard is it to put it in a jig tighten up the jig and weld it together? Right?.

Did you get the auxiliary power supply to power the hitch lights? I recommend it. Puts less stress on the car's light circuit. Mine is about 12 years old still working good.

Frogerelli likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The climate has warmed so much by 2107 that a Curt hitch from the preceding century has expanded too much to fit.

mancuz28 likes this.
  4. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    20200819_184736.jpg 20200819_184736.jpg 20200819_184804 (1).jpg
    Hi EtF5,

I only plan to use the hitch for a Kuat NV two bike rack, so lighting isn't necessary.

The holes were ok, but you can see where the actual bumper is pushing out on the lower fascia.

Attached Files:

5. Frogerelli

Frogerelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep that would piss me off too. Just a horrible quality on there hitches. There strong as hell but whoever is jigging them and welding them is
    an incompetent boob.
    Mine was so whacked out you could see it when i pulled it put of the box. It was so heavy to deal with i didn't want to return it and spent a long time grinding and drilling to get it to fit. Yours is different no way to fix that unless grind it I guess.

Total crap.

krmcg likes this.