1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curt Hitch Released for ordering 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Complex, Jul 20, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well done! And thanks for the pictures.

I thought the instructions said you had to displace some portion of the exhaust system during installation. Did you need to do this?

Also: Why have a ball on it? Is this just to give you some "protection" in back, or keep things out of the receiver tube, or keep the receiver from being damaged?

2. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in the city and hate it when people bump my car when they park. I still don't have any license plate screw marks on my rear bumper. I want to keep it that way. So, the ball on there to help prevent that.

3. JasonPro

JasonPro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haha, nice! That would be difficult for me to handle as well if I lived in downtown DC here. I'm not completely paranoid about people and other cars coming close to the car, but I'm not nearly as apathetic as I was with my 10+ year old car that I got rid of before I bought my '10 Prius. I'm still pretty protective at this point. I'm waiting for the first door ding etc for that to fade a bit.

4. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think I need something like this on the front of my car! Someone really whacked my front bumper and carved a couple of stripes in the plastic. It had to have been a pretty significant hit, because there are wrinkles remaining in the plastic, as well as a couple of little dents that haven't quite popped back in. Much better than having a ding in the paint over metal, of course, but still it is something I'd rather not see so soon!

5. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know how you feel. I saw somebody back into the front of my car. The guy had hit it pretty hard since I heard it and there were people eating outside. The guy got out and asked who's car it was. At least he didn't just drive off. Nothing was there thankfully. I think my I-Pass on the license plate helped out a bit.

6. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yet one more reason for me to make that switch! I know you told me before, but can I simply make the arrangements on-line to get the I-Pass for my license plate frame?

1 person likes this.
  7. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there is an option to do it online. I called in and requested a license plate I-Pass. They did it with no questions asked.

8. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some pictures with my Thule T2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks great! I'm surprised at the amount of clearance you have.

If you've had it up to highway speed: How stable is it?

10. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have driven on the highway up to 80 with it on and not a problem. The car is still really stable with the rack on the back opposed to a roof rack. It does not sway side to side either since tighten a bolt to secure it to the hitch and I have a lock on it.

11. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice. I was considering upgrading to a 3rd-gen from my '07 but the main hangup was I wanted a hitch like I had on my gen-2 so I can carry my bike as well. That opens the door for me!

Nice bike too, by the way. Looks like a Specialized Sirrus with carbon fork and seatstays. Mine is a Sirrus LTD. :D

12. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks, i love my bike. it is really light compared to other bike...mountain bike.

1 person likes this.
  13. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    thanks for the link to etrailer, i ordered the Curt hitch.

14. btaylor

btaylor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks good!

Am I correct that you are able to open the hatchback on the Gen III with this setup in place (including the bike), with no clearance problems?

15. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yep you are able to open the hatch with no problems with the bikes on. you are able to tilt the rack down with the bikes on there for added clearance.

16. Efrem

Efrem New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No problems with the muffler hanger?

I've been waiting for someone to confirm fit. Also, I'm pleased to hear about the no-cut installation.

I have the 11468 on my 2005. I'm one of those micro-trailer guys and want a hitch on both, so I'll be ordering the 11469 now. Considering that this car is not rated for towing and the fact that you can put a bicycle in the back (even our tandem bicycle fits!), I've got to hand it to Curt that they have a hitch out there so quickly.

Thanks for the update.

17. Complex

Complex New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    DONE! The Curt Hitch was one of the simplest installations I have ever done! As challenging as the floor mat install. No cutting or improvising (other than using a swivel attachment for my socket extension). Everything lined up and cleared when installed. Perfect clearances. Good work Curt! Excellent accessory. Just waiting for my bike rack to come in. [/ATTACH]:) The shot of the muffler area is to show how easily accessible the bolts were when installing. Make sure you have a 17MM (removal) and 19Mm Socket to install A swivel and long extension as well.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  18. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    so you do have to lower the muffler out of the way?

19. walter592

walter592 Junior Member

20. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I sure wouldn't fill that box with the 150lbs its rated for, that's for sure. Considering the Prius isn't rated for towing at all, I would be very conservative about tongue weight and torque. At 50" wide and 25" x 24" in cross section, that box has the ability to put a heavy load very far off center and cause a lot of torque on the hitch. Caution is strongly advised and I am certain that Toyota's official answer would be a resounding NO. Personally I would be reluctant to use that box on any 1 1/4" receiver hitch.