1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cusco Center Power Brace Installed (Finally!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by venom700, Feb 15, 2010.

1. venom700

venom700 Just call me Brian...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For those of you who have paid attention, I finally got in my Cusco Center Power Brace today that I ordered back in November. It was worth the wait!

I ordered it from Auto & truck performance parts & aftermarket car parts from HorsepowerFreaks & it was $196 shipped. (Sigma is $249 plus shipping)

Briefly, you need to remove four 14mm bolts and two 10mm bolts. This is a 4-point brace, which differentiates it from the Tanabe.

I just used Rhino Ramps and was able to squeeze under the car to get it done, but it's a tight fit. Took me about 15 minutes. With a lift, should be 5 minutes or less.

I just did a brief test of the car's handling. I have owned a Dodge Stealth, an Acura TL Type-S & recently a BMW Z4 Sport. I was aiming for something akin to the TL which I had replaced the sway bars on. I didn't expect too much (versus the strut tower bar which I didn't think I could install myself nor wanted my dealer bitchin about it) but it really did cut down on the body roll & oversteer. I got up to about 40mph and did some slight slaloming within my lane and voila, nice crisp steering. No creaks or anything going over bumps from the brace.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      80.6 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      101.8 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      143.9 KB
      Views:
    • 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      115.4 KB
      Views:
    • 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      88 KB
      Views:
    brettlocs, seal2cc, calopt and 2 others like this.
  2. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am interested to reduce the body roll. Please feedbacks more after a 1K miles? Thanks.

3. Creaky

Creaky Still motorin...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Aside from the old brace that you showed you needed to remove, did you need to remove anything else, like any of the underbody shrouding?

Do you have a link to it on Horsepowerfreaks' web page? I can't find the product in their listings.

4. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't see a link anymore but they can get it for you. It just takes awhile being shipped from Japan.

Nothing needs to be removed besides the 6 bolts and of course the existing brace.

2 people like this.
  5. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your post and photos. This looks great. I looked on the link, but I did not find it listed on their site under Prius parts. Did you have to call them to order it? Thanks

6. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Looks great Brian!! I love it. Unfortunately I am down and out for awhile after having surgery on my foot so mods have been put on hold. Have about another month to go with the cast and then lots of rehab. Dr. said don't expect to go back to work for 4-8 months. Rough, but well worth it. I just don't understand as to why no one will stock at least a small portion of these parts on a regular basis. At least smaller pieces like this and other suspension components. They are not that expensive relatively speaking and there is an obvious demand for it. Looks great man!! I hope to be back to working on and improving my car in the near future. Lowering springs are definitely next for me.

7. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to you, I now have to add this to my todo list. :)

8. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    HPF use to have it on their website, but it looks like you will need to call them now. Their SKU is: CUSC 951 492 C. Their Product Description is: Cusco (09 and up) Prius Center Power - ZVW30. The base price (not incl. shipping) was: $164.29.

Hope that helps. I just ordered from them cause of the best price, though I will say they had good customer service as they emailed me updates every few weeks.

2 people like this.
  9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have this on my "to-do" list to the Prius. I just can't afford it at the moment. I would love to cut down on that roll when you go around curves. That is definitely one area where the HCH-II did much better than the Prius does.

Anyone figure out a way to have the car absorb bumps a little better yet?? It's like when you hit it, there's nothing absorbing the shock of the bump!

10. blueumbrella

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have mine ordered. It is a special order from Japan and takes several months to arrive.

11. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone besides venom and hi mpg have this installed?

12. jm1515

jm1515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not yet, but I ordered mine ~ a month ago and it should be here by the end of April....we'll see.
    I ordered from the same website as above, but the cost had jumped up by $19.
    I'm not sure if I want to wait till I do my next oil change to install, which would be mid-June I'd guess. If the brace gets here by the end of this month as scheduled, I probably won't have the patience to wait...seems like a piece o'cake to install acc to Venom's pictorial....
    Whenever, my impressions on it will follow.........

13. venom700

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After more driving with the brace, no issues at all with it & I can take turns & ramps anywhere from 5-15mph faster with complete control and much less body roll. I highly suggest this brace for anyone who wants an easy, yet very effective handling upgrade.

14. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister New Member

Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks

I am new on here, but have read through this thread with interest. So much interest that I have located a source in the UK that can supply the brace for £145.05 including delivery and VAT with a 4 - 8 week delivery time.

Looking forward to getting mine and thanks to the OP for the useful information.

15. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    venom700 do you have a picture gallery of your Prius ? I can see the avatar, interested in looking at more pics.

16. blueumbrella

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow-up: I received the Cusco brace after about a 2 month wait and finally got around to (attempting) to install it today. Unfortunately, the center brace would not fit. Not even close. This brace is obviously for a 2010. I have a 2009 and I made sure that Kris at Motor Freaks knew this when I was placing the order. I am very disappointed, this is a very well made 4 point brace. I have sent Kris a message. It may be that they do not make a center brace for the 2009 or earlier. If someone has a 2010 and is considering purchasing this center brace, I would certainly sell it and they would save a 2+ month wait.

I was able to install the Tanabe 2 point front under brace and went very well; just a matter of removing a couple of bolts. Starting this project, I was thinking the Tanabe was going to be the challenge and the Cusco was going to be a no-problem.

I used the rhino ramps, driving on them head first for the Tanabe and backed on to them for the Cusco.

17. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

PM sent.. Thanks.

18. mhmercer

mhmercer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    PM sent

Marshal

19. blueumbrella

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Follow-up to my follow-up:

I finally did get approval to return the the center brace. They insisted it would fit the 2009. I discovered that this brace was made for the 2009/2010 Japan Prius. In Japan, they switched to the new model upgrade in 2009, so yes this brace does fit a Japanese 2009 Prius. Unfortunately they do not make this brace for a US 2009 or earlier.

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.