1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom Audio on a 2005 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tamim, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Tamim

Tamim .

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys I have a 2005 Prius with stock audio, I was wondering does anyone know if it would be possible for me to have custom audio installed?

I am hoping to get a stereo where I can plug a USB stick into it. Here are some of the ones I am looking at on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEHX3500UI In-Dash CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver with MIXTRAX and Variable Color Illumination: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEH-3400UB CD Receiver with LCD Display, Color Customization, and USB Direct Control for iPod/iPhone: Car Electronics

Would that size work or would I need to get a larger one like this?

Amazon.com: Pioneer FH-X700BT In-Dash Double DIN CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Bluetooth, Pandora Link, MIXTRAX & iPod Support: Electronics

Would any of these work?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you for the help.

2. Riaz

Riaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

Check out this thread : Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius | PriusChat

If you don't have access to the wiring harnesses referenced you could install the unit as a standalone with no integration into the MFD and steering wheel controls...that's actually much easier and you will still have the functionality of the stock stereo as a backup.

You would need to run accessory power and ground to the new unit and then tap the speaker outputs from the new unit to the front and rear speakers...searches on this forum and elsewhere will give you info on where it's safe to get power from and how to find the speaker wires.

Note that if you choose the latter route, the new stereo and stock stereo will be in parallel to the speakers and it will be possible to play both at the same time (undesirable) so you would simple power off the stock whenever you want to play the new unit and vice versa. Some aftermarket stereos come with their own remote control which you can mount on the steering wheel as well.

3. Pro-289

Pro-289 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm looking into another deck with USB capability too. Purchased a JVC KD-X250BT a while back for my wife's car. But I'm looking into the JVC KD-X50BT, I think the previous model. The X50 has color changing light and can play WAV files. But the X250 doesn't have these. But the X250 integrates better with Pandora since it has thumbs up/down buttons. I think I wanna go with older X50 model since I'd be able to play CD quality music by extracting my audio discs to WAV. But it looks like any head unit from 80-100 should fit and play from USB.

What I'm wondering though if it's hard to integrate the steering wheel volume and left/right buttons into a new unit. Can they control any head unit, or just special ones?

EDIT: Did some searching and found there's a universal adapter that can automatically learn the buttons and interface with a lot of car models and radio models. Look into something call "Metra ASWC-1". Some on Amazon for $52. Go to the Metra website to check for car compatibility and read your deck's user's manual to check for ASWC compatibility.