1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom Gen 2 Braking System To Replace ABS Actuator-Accumulator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by James Analytic, Mar 1, 2023.

1. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, I know this one is not for the faint hearted. However, has anyone found an equivalent or better than replacements for the ABS Actuator?

I wouldn't of even thought of, though I had assumed initially that the ABS Accumulator-Actuator assembly did the job of the master cylinder as well (I've not studied simple hydraulics yet obviously). Of course, after reviewing all the gen 2's in the yard... I find one with a master cylinder left.

That lone master cylinder further helped get me thinking again about maybe there was a custom hack on that ride.

Then I looked at an exploded diagram since I needed to stop assuming and found the diagram that is linked somewhere in a post on here and a Youtube video detailing the hydraulic circuit.

However, I see some other ABS Actuator-Accumulator Motors can be replaced or refurbished and appears other parts might be able to be replaced like seals if there were kits with detailed instructions and test methods to qualify the installation and operational performance.

So, anyone... or is this going to be my imagination station wondering thing until I find out all the detailed specs and actually start itemizing specs and then getting into the Parameters of the ECU for that assembly or those assemblies deemed suitable?

Figured I'd check. I didn't even realize the openinverter.org and evbmw.com was a thing. That is an awesome find and resource. Thinking that will fulfill my imagination turning into a goal with not well detailed mission objectives that is moving forward for the general purpose generator inverter (mains AC), welder (with offset-balance control for aluminum TIG) and plasma cutter from the gen 3 inverter/converter assembly (now assemblies having acquired a gen 2 inverter/converter yesterday).

Now, this upgraded, equivalent or good enough braking system design feasible options?

#1 James Analytic, Mar 1, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They keep moving things around. The master cylinder is combined with the actuator in Gen 3. In Gen 2 and Gen 1 it was separate. Gen 1's master cylinder includes a booster. Gen 2's doesn't. A cheap rebuild kit was a thing Toyota would sell you for Gen 1's master cylinder. But not for any later gen. But as luck would have it, Gen 2's master cylinder is super inexpensive because of how simple it is.

I made an old post tracing how the different pieces got shuffled around across Gen 1 through Gen 4. The prices shown there are 2017 throwbacks, but it's still ok on what parts go where.

James Analytic likes this.
  3. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great overview of the parts design and pricing! Glad I'm not the only one wondering what's the deal.

Here's the gen 2 ABS Actuator-Accumulator tear down video with the hydraulic circuit I watched:

I found the above here as well:
    upload_2023-3-2_12-49-34.png

Here's the gen 2 parts diagram:
    [​IMG]

2010 Brake Hydraulic Circuit: https://priuschat.com/attachments/prius-brake-hydraulic-system-pdf.6593

More 2010 Hydraulic System details: https://parts.olathetoyota.com/v-2010-toyota-prius--base--1-8l-l4-electric-gas/brakes--hydraulic-system

Gen 4 brake details: Prius 4th GEN Brake diagram | PriusChat

Still wondering the more detailed specifications as well as parameters for controls and also what other Toyota or maybe other brands can be custom fit in to provide a more cost effective and rebuildable solution maybe as well. I guess Techstream parameters from the ECU's for each generation will elude as well as any other references in Toyota technical docs.

Seems sad parts are wasted to be shredded that most likely can be repaired and restore to functional specs even if look older. Such a waste of mass and energy. What a waste and wasteful thinking. Blah! :)

bisco likes this.
  4. James Finch

James Finch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two