1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom Steering Wheel Controls

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by zombiegristle, Oct 6, 2014.

1. zombiegristle

zombiegristle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone tried setting up new controls in the steering wheel of a Prius? I have the "four" package so there's a blank spot on the right side where the radar cruise and lane assist controls would be, and I would kill to have the three driving mode buttons right there for easy switching while driving around town. Is that sort of thing even technically possible?

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As a long time computer hacker I abide by ONE rule:

Don't hack anything your LIFE depends on.

3. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I did not know Prius owners can be very violent just to get what they want. :(

4. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're asking whether it's feasible, the answer is yes. I'm not sure whether the switches you desire are resistance-based on the same circuit (like the other steering wheel switches), or momentary switches on separate circuits, but my answer wouldn't change either way. Of course, you'd likely need a different clockspring to accommodate the new circuit(s) (Prius 5 clockspring may work), but beyond that it would be pretty simple.

Nobody's life depends on some switches that control driving mode.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are you 110% SURE

6. zombiegristle

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome, I'm going to start reading up on how the inside of the console is put together and see what I might be getting into...This is pretty much the top of my "mod wishlist" right now, hopefully it turns out to be quite doable.

7. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As someone who makes design decisions that impact life or death regularly, yes, I'm sure.

8. zombiegristle

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, so I have a followup question to this...Does anyone know where I can buy the right-hand control panel from a Five steering wheel? And if necessary, the Five clockspring? I may just not know the right terminology, but I can't seem to find what I'm thinking of with Google...