1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom Stereo

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mothandras, Apr 14, 2012.

1. mothandras

mothandras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have all the parts and pieces ready to install a custom stereo. I purposely bought a C2 vs a C3 to install a custom stereo. The only thing I need is a dash kit. Seems like everyone so far is custom fabbing a kit for the install. For those of you who had one fabbed how much did it cost to have it made? Would it possible to have the same shop that made yours create one for me? How long does it take for Metra or other dash kit makers to come out with one?

Thanks,

Moth

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    piece of MDF wood scrap big enough to use = free
    black fabric = uh... really cheap..

i don't think i have any scrap pieces that are big enough to use... and however much MDF costs is pretty cheap i guess too..

it'll be awhile until dash kits are available.

another idea is just getting a sheet of ABS plastic and cutting it to fit as well.. and that's usually pretty cheap.. go into a TAP Plastics or something and find a piece in their scrap bin that's big enough... it'll be like $1 typically for pieces in their leftover bin.

3. mothandras

mothandras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have installed my stereo and everything worked out great.

Here is a pic of the dash with the head unit installed.

If you have any questions or want different pics let me know.

Moth

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. nallioni

nallioni New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice looking headunit

5. Wharfe

Wharfe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great. What'd you do for the dash kit?

6. mothandras

mothandras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had everything professionally installed.. I think its just ABS plastic.

I am not very mechanically inclined, but they only charged me like $50 to fab it.

7. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    for $50.. i would've expected the piece to sit up forward and flush with the rest of the stock dash..

8. Surrylic

Surrylic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Some places charge upwards of $100 to purchase and install a dash kit that's premade... it's absurd. I do like that head unit though. Any downsides of not having the stock unit in?

9. mothandras

mothandras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They were unable to get the steering wheel controls to work, they tried three different adapters.

10. mothandras

mothandras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They asked which way I wanted it.. the head unit has a removable face.

Since I will be removing the face when not in use, I wanted to to be recessed:

A. To make it easier to add/remove the face.
    B. To make the head unit more secure when the face isn't on it. There is no where to grab on to the head unit at all.

They played with it a bunch to get it exactly right, for the tilt down face, and its full range of motion.

I would rather the head unit be flush with the dash, vs the kit. I guess its just user preference.

11. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Looks real good...Did you have a backup camera installed at the same time?

-M

12. mothandras

mothandras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  13. Surrylic

Surrylic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Most importantly, imo, did the sound quality improve a decent amount?

I like some features of the stock unit so I sort of want to keep it... but the audio quality makes me sad. Just trying to decide head unit vs speakers. I've heard head unit from most folks but like I said I'd rather keep it; things like steering wheel controls and the instant MPG and whatnot I use so regularly I don't wanna lose them...

14. mothandras

mothandras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have the C2 so losing some of the NAV, instant MPG and colorful graphs didnt really matter to me. The sound quality of the system now is better than any system I have ever had in any vehicle ive owned. I have had custom stereos installed in my last three vehicles. This time though I spent a little more on each of the pieces and put an amplifier on my mids vs just the deck power. Steering Wheel controls is something I dont currently have but there is atleast one aftermarket set that work, and I will more than likely get it added on later. The headunit replacement is essential imo, if you have a C2 its an easier decision than if you have a C3. Picking a headunit comes down to what you want it to do, and how much you want to spend. If you only want to replace one or the other, the OEM speakers are by far the worst part of the factory system, they are just paper thin and the magnets are tiny.

15. Surrylic

Surrylic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to do both but one at a time for financial purposes :p I've thought about it, and over the 100+ miles I drove to and from work I decided the stock stereo isn't that important. Initially I didn't want to lose Entune, then I realize I've never used it so I wouldn't care. And the instant MPG is something I like, but its whatever. I am a bit of an audiophile, and music means far more to me than anything that is inanimate so I want the best audio quality. Asap I'll do the speakers, and then later I'll do the stereo. That thing gives me tons of trouble with Bluetooth devices anyway...

Thanks for your reply!