1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom subwoofer install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by WaterbedWarrior, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lookin' good! What is your interior volume going to end up being? Like .5 cuft? Make sure to put some polyfill in it when you're mouting the speaker.

2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    if that box is PVC, the fiberglass should have popped out with a little persuasion with the tape or foil. I'll give it a test later.

3. Silencer2169

Silencer2169 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ve been an installer for many years and haven't done much work witht he prius in general. If replacing the OEM radio with a Pioneer D3 will that affect my climate controls, consumption and energy screens at all or just the audio controls for the factory radio. I dont care about loosing the Steering wheel controls I can always get a PAC SW universal down the road for that, Right?

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally, a chunk of mdf is used for the face, which gives more mass and provides a sturdy mounting for the speaker. A custom enclosure made at a professional installation shop could well be several hundred dollars, and a mould is much more work than a one-off.

Did you use any kind of wax or spray before laying the glass? That would have helped keep the tape from weakening the fibreglass, and keep the resin from bleeding through to the carpet. Curing times are also very sensitive to temperature - my first attempt with this stuff didn't work at all.

5. WaterbedWarrior

WaterbedWarrior Going insane!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I didn't have any problems with bleed through or release, just the foil and the tape used on the foil overlaps sticking to the fiberglass. I put down a layer of tape then 2 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil.

Have yet to decide if I'm going to do an MDF front or wrap the fiberglass around the front using felt and a sub mounting ring. Will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Best guess is about .6cu ft, but all depends how well the back fits, plus the base is a bit smaller now since I formed it inside the bottom side tray. Will almost definitely be using some polyfill to maximize the minimum space inside the enclosure.

May be pouring the backside this morning, depending on how rambunxious I feel when I get home. My 100 sq ft of sound deadening material arrived yesterday. Girlfriend is already asking for me to put some in her car when I'm done with mine. :rolleyes: Still hunting for the best price on a set of 2 ohm Infinity 6x9's to replace the front factory speakers and no real clue what I'm going to do about teh factory tweeters up in the dash. Will decide once I open it up and see what kind of room I have to work with. Getting way ahed fo myself.

6. HardcoreWR

HardcoreWR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's pretty cool, can you still access your spare tire by yourself?

I'm trying for something a little more compact and less intrusive. I need my trunkspace, whether it be hauling luggage or scuba tanks for a dive trip.

8. HardcoreWR

HardcoreWR New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the spare tire is under the subwoofer, so what I need to do is just remove the plate with the handles.
    Then you see a banana-connector ( http://www.summitsource.com/images/products/CMBDRH.jpg )
    Just disconnect it and lift the subwoofer, and there is the spare tire :)

With an empty trunk it will take 1 minute.

9. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bought a pair of Infinity Reference 9623i 3-way 6x9's for my front doors.
    [​IMG]
    Picked these 6x9's as they have a very shallow mounting depth of 3" and a 2ohm resistance which means I can use a smaller amplifier.
    Will be pairing them with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 250aII (which can put out 125 watts RMS per channel at 2 ohm). Speakers are rated to handle 100 watts RMS, so the amp gives me plenty of headroom for some nice clean sound. Have another Punch 250aII which will be pushing my 10" subwoofer.

Just waiting for it to get a little more light outside, then going to continue fiberglassing my box. Didn't get anything accomplished on it yesterday.

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my Ranger came with 5x7's in the door, I installed 6x9's, but had to stuff them into the door, and attach from the back side.

11. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So the deed is done. I hope it is thick enough to survive being removed. I tried using a weave mat and like it so much better. 2 layers of weave followed by a layer of chop. But doubt the weave is as strong as the chop. Not near as thick.

[​IMG]

12. WaterbedWarrior

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just pulled the box from the trunk. It remained in one piece and best of all, no fiberglass resin inside or on the new Prius. I've still got a lot of work to do. Have a few air bubbles to deal with , lots of areas need sanding before next coat of fiberglass and still need to figure out how I'm going to finish it. Oh well, getting close to bedtime anyhow.

[​IMG]

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use chopped first, then 1 or 2 layers of biaxial stitchmat (with chopped stitched to it), and a layer of chopped all at once. Sometimes I use a heatgun to get it stand up when I'm layering it up.

woven is good for the complex shape you are molding, but it comes out so thick, and drinks up so much resin.

14. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will be taking pics of my setup tomorrow so you can see my fiberglass enclosure. I went with a bit beefier 10" sub from Hertz Audio and had it installed over the battery being there was more room on that side. Being you have a II it should make your audio upgrade much easier than mine has been. Look up my other posts and you'll see the mess I have gone through with my high end install. Good luck with it all turning out.

15. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am in the middle of a fiberglass enclosure project for our new 2010 Pkg IV. I'm doing it on the passenger side rear cubby.
    I can feel your pain on the fiberglass learning curve.
    My first attempt was also scrapped, but I think I've got it now.
    On this second draft, after the blue tape & foil lining, I then used spray adhesive to lay in a layer of the woven mat...that way it stays in place on the hanging ledges & vertical bits. Then I brushed in a healthy first layer of resin. After that dried I was able to pull it out in one piece and have been adding bits of the chopped mat & additional resin for my second & third layers.
    I've ordered the JL Audio 10W3v3, because it too can go into 0.625 ft3 happily. About to start cutting MDF for the front now.
    Did you ever finish the enclosure on yours? Never saw the outcome. I've got lots of pictures, but want to make sure it turns out a success before I share.

16. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey GeoGeek, I replied to your email this morning, but also wanted to make sure you saw my enclosure that was built for the same side. It's awesome you're doing the work yourself. I usually do when it comes to car stereo stuff but this install was beyond my skill level especially not even working with fiberglass. Not to mention, I didn't want to deal with the car torn apart for weeks trying to make it perfect. I just had surgery on my foot and we have a 4 month old at home so being in my car is usually with my wife and little one in it so haven't been able to enjoy the stereo for a little while. Miss all its sonic goodness, but soon enough. No more cast and starting to be more mobile on my feet. Will be driving again soon enough. Talk to you soon.