1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cutting springs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Priusmpg, May 30, 2014.

1. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before you judge, I installed TRD lowering springs on the PIP. I like the lower ride, but I want more of a drop. Before I invest into high end coil overs, I just want to cut my factory spring which are just lying around. I would like to some one who has done this to the 3rd gen PRIUS to chime in and share their results, where they cut it, whether or not it gets stiffer top to bottom, or if it's the same stiffness for the whole spring, is the ride stiffer. I would also appreciate anyone who knows what would theoretically happen with the spring rate shock/strut ware. Any and all suggestions, comments, views, advice, would be appreciated.

2. Christopher O'Brien

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'd also like to install TRD lowering springs on my PiP, but I heard today that because the weight distribution of the PiP is slightly different than ordinary Priuses (due to the different batteries), the TRD springs aren't really suitable on the PiP. How do the TRD springs feel on your PiP? Did you hear anything about incompatibility from anyone at Toyota or elsewhere?

3. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyota will alway advise you not to do it because its policy. Parts department told me that this isn't compatible with the PiP, and told me not to do it, they also said that Toyota advised them not to sell them to PiP owners. Since I have a shop, the dealer sold me the springs without hesitation. I can confidently say that I have driven about 39k miles with the trd springs and with no issues on highway and city. The installation was easy and simple.

4. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ahhh! Brings back memories when I was younger in my youth and cut the springs to lower my car!

If you do decide to cut your springs, make sure that the spring fits securely back into the perch.

It all depends on how many coils that you cut, to affect your ride.

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have to think someone either makes the right springs you need, or can make a set for you. Although I'm sure some have done this, I just cringe at the idea.

6. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you want to go that route, you can contact Eibach Springs. They can make any custom springs to your desire.
    But if I were you, I would go with a set of coilovers. You will have the best of both worlds :)

Priusmpg, Burna J and KennyGS like this.
  7. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Guys, this is only meant as a "what if", I don't plan to use these on the car for more than a week as its daily driven. I only wanted to do something with the springs lying around. Otherwise, coil overs would be the best route to because of the adjustability and the legitimate process.

RightOnTime likes this.
  8. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cut those coils and take some big breasted women for rides. :love:

9. RightOnTime

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do it! Cut the coil from the bottom perch with a metal circular saw, just make sure you have protective gloves and eyewear.
    Ahhh! Brings back old memories from my Honda days!

10. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Why not just get shorter springs like DF210?
    I'm not sure if the TRD springs are linear or progressive, but certainly, if they don't have any dead coils, cutting them would certainly have an impact on the spring rate.

Gas Mizer likes this.
  11. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That's what I was insinuating with my post. Those spring rates will be through the roof! Make sure you buy new shocks with a good warranty.