1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cv axle boot replacement.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DevChatt, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Replace the seals at the transaxle too? And the transaxle fluid, goes without saying I guess?

From what I've read, mostly regarding third gens, it's not a trivial job, and tricky. I'd choose third party mechanic carefully, and ask if he's experienced with Prius.

2. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ah i just had the transaxle fluid drained and filled like last week! How frustrating!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could drain into a (very) clean pan and reuse. Might need an extra quart for top up: just for insurance.

benjita likes this.
  4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or get one out of a low mileage wreck. It will be OEM quality, but have no warranty. Thus far, I have not been burned by using "re-homed" parts ;)

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never lost more than a cup of fluid, less if the side you are working on is lifted higher than the opposite. I have also never replaced a seal that is not already leaking. There are certain risks to replacing parts that are not causing a problem.

Hopefully they used WS fluid!

johnjohnchu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought it was the outer joint boot?

If so no transmission interaction at all. Its the inner joint that has to be pulled from the differential.
    But if during the replacement of the outer joint I would ask the tech to check the differential seals where the inner joint enters the diff and see if there weeping at all. If so I would get them replaced eventually.. .which requires pulling the inner joints.

But the diff seals at the inner are not prone to leaking on a G2 so there probably fine.

So...the whole thing sucks lol.

But I would buy the a brand new oem joint complete with boot and then start calling around to tire stores. Its a really common repair to replace a cv joint and there's nothing different on a prius compared to any other car on the road. I'm trying to picture in my mind if the steering knuckle has to be disconnected from the strut and not sure but if it does usually a front end alignment is needed. Your car probably needs it anyway. That's $79.99 at a tire store. Well worth the money no matter what.

Then clean the cv boots on both sides all four of them and get a rag and soak it with Protectant and wipe the boots down and your good to go. Theirs 2 more boots in the back for the steering rack also. Been doing this for a long long time and have never ever lost a boot. Losing a boot quickly totals the joint.

johnjohnchu and DevChatt like this.
  7. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got it done at the dealer so I hope they used the right fluid....

Getting a reused part probs will be the best option.

Every shop i talked to thusfar (non toyota) keeps insisting to use their parts (non OEM )...semi frustrating...must be to get the extra margin off the parts probably.

8. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Excellent. Thank you! Lesson is definitely learned to keep these boots in good shape for the future. I did not know there were two in the back...when i looked it over with the toyota tech at the dealer he said they were only in the front...

Def will have to look at more stores i guess.

edthefox5 likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah theirs another pair a little farther back that are used to the steering rack joints. To be honest my boots are usually pretty clean I just spray protectant all over them and wipe it in. The rubber really likes it. Its just like the rubber moldings around the window. No love they dry up. Especially in this heat.

Happy Motoring!

DevChatt likes this.
  10. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks!

My only remaining question is regarding the OEM vs aftermarket? Is OEM the only way to go?

Almost every mechanic wants to use their own aftermarket which is somewhat frustrating...can't find anyone trustworthy to do an OEM replacement not for 700+ bucks all in.

Are there any reputable aftermarket parts for this?

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They want to use aftermarket because there so cheap they can add there own little jack up on top of it. I understand financially if you have to use aftermarket as $500 is alot of money. Got to do what you have to do. It will run ok but to me the thought of it failing again rather fast and having to do it all over again and this time do it right with oem parts your then at $1200 dollars. I have learned that lesson many times as I am a slow learner lol.

I see the outers on ebay for $40. Good luck man. Report back.

12. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    yeah, my concern is with a future repair again.

But then again, this car is now 11 years old...at best i'm looking another 5 years before replacement of the car...I would hope it wouldn't break again within that time frame evidently...

I do recall the toyota dealer highly insisting to just get the boot replaced now (he could just be saying this to get my business of the market faster or because it is quite preventable maintenence) which makes this a tougher decision. Getting a boot replaced is tons cheaper and OEM as well!

13. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok sweet, i finally got somewhat of a deal on this.

i may stick with an aftermarket axle just for it being cheap, and we do have to realize the current axle is about 11 years old...nothing will deny that...may as well just put a fresh one in for cheaper, it'll last longer than putting in something with a fresh boot in.

A shop is willing to do the labor for 185 all in, which is a steal.

Although I do question, how long can I prolong this until I definetly have to get it replaced? Should I wait until i hear clicking on the axle while turning? Do i have time or am I just asking for more bad luck by waiting?

14. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there is no hurry at all. Take your time to find the very best deals on both part and labor. I often prefer to purchase my own parts. Firestone lifetime alignment is good value if needed. They may even offer good deal if you purchase alignment and drive axle installation together.

#34 johnjohnchu, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    DevChatt likes this.
  15. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Awesome you reach a decision.

$185 for inclusive labor seems reasonable.
    $ Aftermarket axle (boot grease and all) with major price savings.

Now the delay question.
    Sure you could wait until failure or noise.
    That would be as if you didn't even know there was a repair problem.
    So, yes, you may be able to wait a month or two as you gather the money.

Keep on eye on grease getting thrown onto the brake rotors during the delay.
    But if raining or driving is dusty/ dirty area...I repeat, do the repair sooner than later.

Last comment, which some other co-member or research may revel, is what would occur during a failure?
    Other than a clicking noise: Excess heat - trans oil and brakes. Over cooked brakes - pulling to one side, excess stopping distance. Locked axle - freezing steering. Broken axle - digging into pavement. Scattering parts - body, undercarriage, paint damage. Lack of grease and heat - damaged wheel bearing/ hub or trans bearing.

Just guessing/ thinking outside the box for the above list; as personally am not one to typically delay repairs until failure.
    The list may be completely irrelevant.

Have fun and again good decision.

16. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks you both!! And thanks for the reassurance it means a ton! (Also cute dog kenny :))

I definetly won't let things go that far. The second I hear clicking is the second i'm gonna head this bad boy to get the repair done.

17. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You can find my thread a while back that didnt generate that much discussion but I replaced mine at a local garage with good reviews on yelp before the car was declared a total loss in a not at caukt accident. non-OEM worked okay but I was convinced there was some clunking when stopping and accelerating at times and also some slight vibration at a certain throttle point. The clunking ended up lessening in noise after a few weeks, and the original clicking that was there when turning on U turns disappeared. So nom OEm works okay but may have more noise.. the one installed didnt have the dampener in the middle like the OEM one.

DevChatt likes this.
  18. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Excellent. Thank you for the advice! Found the thread. Glad to hear the vibration did end! That would of been scary if it was a continuation!

19. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just had to do my Pennsylvania state inspection today.
    It passed barely with the CV axle boot issue. The mechanic said we highly recommend fixing it (went to a jack williams) and you know they would do it with an aftermarket piece and charge ~~~560 bucks to do it (came with an alignment although to be fair). Definitely got the vibe that they were trying to jack up the price and and their own upcharge based on my need to get the PA state inspection done ASAP.

Eitherway i told him just pass it and dont worry about the axle I am aware of the situation.

What I will probably do is buy the axle part at autozone as an aftermarket (they are like 80 bucks) and find someone to do the labor for like 2 hours of time max (180 bucks).

I have a few more questions since a month has passed....
    I'm a big fan of waiting until the repair is necessary until I gotta do it (unless it causes further damage) just saves more money...
    What should I be hearing for when I know it is time to replace it? Do i risk breaking anything else in the time being? A video of what I should be hearing will be benificial!

The guy said he would want to do an alignment as well...is this required? I understand my car will probably need it at a certain point but would like more data...

20. Daniel Weiss

Daniel Weiss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had an error code that got checked at the dealership (dying hybrid battery, other story). Their multi-point inspection spotted a leaking CV boot on the inner passenger side. Quote was $415.90 for replacing "both boots" there. In line with the original poster's price.

I just got a quote from another mechanic where they do good work, backed up by 3-year warranty on repairs. I've known this place in the past to be just below dealership prices, so I was surprised when they came back with a quote of $200-210 to replace the whole right axle with a brand new part. They explained the whole axle with boots tends to be cheaper than a single boot.

Their price seems super cheap based on others' estimates here. What do you folks think?