1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cv axle boot replacement.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DevChatt, Aug 11, 2017.

1. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to comment from a DIY standpoint.

I'm not a believer in re-greasing CV joints and replacing the boots.

It's a nightmare to install a new boot properly unless you use a "split-boot." IMHO, it's no more than a band-aid. Also, if one axle shows signs of wear and tear, you can bet the other is as well.

I'd be jacking the front of the car up, remove both axles and replace them with remanufactured axles. The cost for both axles will be about $300 and a few hours worth of work. Far less than what a shop would charge.

It boils down to two choices:
    • Replace one failing axle, leaving the non-failing axle in place and wait for it to fail, which it will. You have no control over the time/place it fails.
    • Replace both axles, getting new faces on the CV Joint as well as new boots. The extra cost for the 2nd axle replacement will prevent its failure somewhere down the road.
    But, it's your money, car, time and skills. Choose wisely considering your circumstances.

johnjohnchu, benjita and Daniel Weiss like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Each driveshaft has two CV joints and boots, so maybe that's still just one side?

Maybe aftermarket? Which is not necessarily bad. I always check prices on this Toyota Dealership site, and they're $307 and $360, for left and right assemblies respectively, genuine Toyota parts, discounted price.

Installed for $200~210 still seems crazy low, maybe ask what part they're using.

I'd guestimate the Rolls Royce route, all new both sides with Toyota parts, through a dealership, would be at least $1000. It only hurts for one month?

I recall years back, with one of our Accords, noticed a clunk-clunk sound when making left turns. Under warranty, they slammed new ones in, both sides, in an hour or two one evening. I think it would have been around $500 if I'd had to pay. This was mid-eighties though.

#42 Mendel Leisk, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Daniel Weiss and benjita like this.