1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CV Boot Grease - Which is Which

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nc08prius, Jan 9, 2022.

1. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello:

I am in the middle of rebooting my driver's side cv axle with the OEM kit. There are two greases included with the kit, and I thought I could go by the color - tan on the inside, black on the outside (closer to the wheel). However both greases appear to be tan/beige in color. Here are the part numbers for the included grease tubes:

90999-94154
    90999-94155

Does anyone know for sure which is for the inner and which is for the outer (wheel side) of the axle?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure which is which, but a call to some of the dealers might work (try the service advisor manager if the parts jockeys are no help).

90999-99154 may just be an old part #.

Found it reassuring that you can buy 62.7 lbs of part # 90999-94155 for $23. Likely weight typo : 90999-94115 Genuine Toyota Grease

** On a side note, it would be great if you could take pictures of the rebooting and post a write up, either in this thread or start a new one.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure why you'd assume there were different greases for the two joints. As @SFO says, could just be different part no's otherwise the same?

Attached is a Repair Manual excerpt, the drive shaft section, and literally all it says is "apply grease". Which is a little terse.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  4. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. Based on stuff I found on the web related to doing this job on other Toyota models, I went with 90999-94154 (Raremax SLF) for the inner joint, and 90999-94155 (Shell Stamina Grease 0578) for the outer (closest to wheel) joint.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking forward to your thread/write up.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm looking through a Honda PIlot Service Manual, and it has a drive shaft rebuild instruction, that does mention that there's both inboard and outboard grease, and also specs a gm/oz amount. I'll attach, just for comparison. The Toyota Repair Manual which just says "apply grease" does seem oddly brief.

Your kit had no instructions?

Phone call to a local dealership service department?

Attached Files:

7. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, no instructions with the kit, just parts (grease, boots, clamps, two retainer clips--one for where the axle goes in the trans, and one to keep the tripod bearing assembly on the shaft). The oem parts site drawing just shows a drawing of a blank tube with each kit with no part numbers. I didn't call the service dept., I wanted to get the axle rebuilt before I quit last night.

If you look around on the web, apparently there is a saying among techs regarding which grease goes where: "Thinner is inner." It was definitely the case the grease in the old boots had the thinner grease in the inside boot. The Raremax grease I got with the kit (the 90999-94154 part number, had a Raremax SLF material safety data sheet (MSDS) with it) definitely seemed thinner than the Shell Stamina (the 90999-94155 part number, also had a MSDS), so I put the Raremax SLF on the inside. There were a few Tacoma forums I saw where they also explained the SLF goes in the inner boot.

SFO: I am contemplating if I want to go ahead and do the passenger side since I have two kits. If I do it, I'll get some pics...I definitely need to give back as much help as this forum has been to me.

Mendel Leisk and SFO like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i bet a dealer would just slap any old stuff in there