1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cycle of death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius2go, Aug 10, 2007.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 10 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]493733[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, like the Good Doctor wrote: turn it ON to drop the windows, then turn it OFF and take all the time you want.

Prius2go, why do you want the car ON while you're cleaning it?

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 12 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]494321[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, please tell. Curiosity overwhelms (still waiting for the answer to my original question)....

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    or you can do what i did today: car in ready, leave windows up, crank a/c really cold, clean the interior. :) hey it was 93 outside and that's relatively cool for the past couple weeks.

i was having a hard time resisting the urge to hose myself down when i washed the exterior!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 12 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]494337[/snapback]</div>
    thanks Gal, now you just forced me to have visions similar to the Paris Hilton car wash commercial....remember this is your fault! B)

5. prius2go

prius2go Member

Oh dear I think Ive upset everyone :(

I only switched it on to drop the windows - I didnt know I should switch it off

I just checked the sequence
    Press power button once not much happens
    Press power button again - all warning lights come on and screen is illuminated
    no ready though
    put foot on brake try to move into D or R ==> goes to N
    release parking brake - brakes symbol stays on
    Press park - N gooe to P
    try again press foot brake only lets me go to N

Press Power again thinkint it will switch off but instead 'Ready' appears - a miracle :)
    and I am able to move to D or R hooray
    so I need to press Power 3 times to start

ok - I am an idiot B)

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NO!!
    To get to ready put your foot on the brake and press power once. Please go back and read my posts carefully...you will NEVER get into ready mode until you put your foot on the brake.

I'm starting to think I'm being played this is so ridiculous.

7. prius2go

prius2go Member

:(
    My mistake was thinking that at any time with the display illuminated that I could put my foot on the footbrake then engage D or R and off it goes.
    Instead I think the rule is that you have to put foot on footbrake then press power
    'Ready' illuminates, now it will go into D or R

Simple misreading of the rules
    apologies if you think I am playing :blink:

It's a learning experience for us novices

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]493553[/snapback]</div>
    Crazy huh? Same with the cargo light. The domes will go off. But the map lights will say on forever if manually switched on. No car should ever allow lights (headlights included) to remain on for more than say 10 minutes after the car has been shut off. Want the lights to stay on longer? Leave the car on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]493627[/snapback]</div>
    The same thing that everybody else does when they leave their headlights on too long. Suffer. Get a tow. Find somebody with jumper cables. Wonder why ANY car lets you do that...much less an advanced "smart" car like the Prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 11 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]494057[/snapback]</div>
    Only the domes are timed. This is just one reason why I swapped everything out to LED on the interior. And on my EV, I have separate timer circuits on every LED lamp as well. Should I mention again how retarded it is to have the car allow lights on for an extended period after it is shut off? The circuit to accomplish this would cost pennies per car, and save untold hassles. And it would save plenty of energy/pollution as the batteries will last longer. Draining them like you did to yours will shorten its life tremendously.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 12 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]494374[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. To drive the car, it must be in "ready." To get into ready, you MUST have your foot on the brake while pressing the button no matter what other mode you were in previously.

Want to drive? Brake and button. No short cuts.

9. prius2go

prius2go Member

thanks darelldd :p

10. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 12 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]494371[/snapback]</div>
    Clearly.

It's difficult to imagine how someone who has been reading PC and driving a Prius for a year wouldn't know how to get into "ready" mode or how to shift into "R" and "D".

11. Drago3000

Drago3000 New Member

Am I the only one who didn't need a lecture on how to operate the car?

I know I'm a computer geek but the whole car seems pretty intuitive to me, I've only changed 3 things.

1)Back-up Beep = OFF
    2)Seatbelt Beep = OFF (I'm a meter-reader, can't buckle 90% of the time)
    3)Installed an EV-Mode hack to enable electric-only operation via cruise control stick. (mostly I just want the option, no real need)

I mean don't you put your foot on the brake when you get in a car? Auto's you must to shift from park, and manuals you better unless you're on perfectly flat ground...

I do not know, I guess if you have no problems you're not voicing it here, maybe that's why Prius owners seem so... troubled.

12. prius2go

prius2go Member

the 'problem'

was with car already switched on
    putting foot on brake
    then selecting D or R
    and finding nothing happens

I was ok in circumstances where it was already switched off
    :rolleyes:
    anyway sorted now :)

welcome BTW B)

13. Drago3000

Drago3000 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 16 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]497372[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks man, I guess there is a pretty functional difference there, in that if you have the motor-supplied functions available in other cars, then the car really IS on. The Prius COULD be in the "almost but not quite ready" mode... btw, I think that Toyota is asking for it making that function even available...

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 11 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]494083[/snapback]</div>
    IF YOU'RE NOT PRESSING THE BRAKE:
    --one press of power turns on the radio and that's pretty much it
    --a second press of power turns on most everything but the drivetrain
    --a third press of power *WITHOUT foot on brake* turns off car again
    --a third press of power *WITH foot on brake* powers up entire car and triggers 'ready' light on dash.

Does that help?

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 10 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]493537[/snapback]</div>
    About one week if you treat it like that. :blink:

Tom

16. prius2go

prius2go Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 17 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]497407[/snapback]</div>
    It's all so confusing :p
    why couldnt they have ha a 3 postion key operated switch like most cars

For those that didnt know
    I was getting it right for a normal start - jump in car, press brake, power up, off we go

It was only where the car was already powered up - dash lit up that I was finding that it wouldnt go
    and seemingly needed to power it off then on again before it would start

However it's all sorted now ok!!

Although the dash is litup pressing the brake and moving into D or R wont work unless power is pressed one extra time so that the 'magic 'READY' word appears in the display

17. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is getting silly. It's NOT complicated!!

18. prius2go

prius2go Member

It's happened again :(
    after playing about for a while yesterday with the roof lining

Tried to start car this morning
    no go
    emergency boot opening method
    battery volts 5.8
    tried attaching charger but volts still dropping
    dont want to overcook it so
    disconected battery black earth lead
    battery volts now climbing gradually
    current limited to 1A
    something in the car seems to take extra current when the battery is low
    maybe all the 12v electronics dont like runing at 5V

but.......
    why are there no power off timers to prevent this happening??????
    I havent had flat battery on a car for at least 20 years

19. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With all the money you save on fuel and tax, take it to a car wash! (But only in modes T,F,I,S or J)

20. prius2go

prius2go Member

ok got it going again by cahrging the battery off load until it reached about 12.5V
    then re-connected the 0V terminal to chassis, there was a spark - something is taking power
    However after than it was able to start

What should be the 'car off' current?

If the battery cant take a few hours with the bootlid or rear passnger door open , it's ridiciulous

Not happy :angry: