1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cycle of death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius2go, Aug 10, 2007.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Aug 17 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]497882[/snapback]</div>
    After reading the next two posts of yours, I don't believe you've sorted this out yet.

The car DOES have the three positions you'd normally expect, and this has been explained in this thread with incredible patience. Please take the time to read these posts and your manual.

I mean no offence to you, but you seem to be asking for help and then ignoring the well-intended assistance being offered.

If you must leave doors and/or boot open for extended periods, and you don't want to worry about the time you have on your now-diminished battery, then just put in in Ready mode until you are all done. Then the HV battery will keep the 12 volt in fine shape, and the ICE will keep the HV in a proper state of charge.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't read this thread it's frustrating.
    Stop wrecking your battery by flattening it. If you need the doors open for 3 hours turn off all the interior lights or put the car in ready mode in park. The battery is small to save weight, it only has to make a computer work not start the engine.
    You will most likely need a new battery if you keep running it flat.

3. prius2go

prius2go Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 11 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]510551[/snapback]</div>
    ok

I hadnt realised that was what everyone was saying

With a normal car you can open the doors, leave them open as long as you like and self timers cut off interior lights etc so you dont end up with a flat battery

With Prius it seems I have to put the key in its slot press the brake pedal and hit start to make Ready light up whenever I feel I might be leaving the doors open, so the engine can start up and charge up the battery to compensate for not having previous mentioned timers. I'd even set the interior light to off

ok it may work but for a 'green car' it's barmy

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ok, time to revive this thread.
    Having one of the earliest '04s with nearly 70k miles (ok ... no big deal if you're a cab company, i know i know) and the auxilary batterey on charge ...

1 ~ how long are those little suckers good for?
    2 ~ where's a cheep place to get one? I called all the locals (napa pep boys kragen etc) & no one carrys it
    3 ~ if no one, what does the dealer charge (so I won't have sticker shock on Monday) ?

hopefully the charge will do the trick ... 4 years seems kinda premature.

opinions please ??

Thanks in advance

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There appears to be no cheap alternative. If you get something other than a Toyota battery you'll have to adapt the terminals to the small connectors and arrange for proper venting of the battery gasses.

When the time comes I'm inclined to get this battery:
    http://www.elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html

installed using this kit:
    http://www.elearnaid.com/pakitforinop.html

The total cost is about the same as a Toyota battery but it may be a better design.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So far the charge seems to have done the trick ... but if not ... Toyota only? Great. I'm hoping there'll be some other vendor making an aftermarket battery. At least by the time THIS one gives up the ghost.