1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cycling battery modules - do these results make sense?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusOwner428, Apr 5, 2022.

1. PriusOwner428

PriusOwner428 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I thought reconditioning a battery pack involved repeated charging and discharging of individual module to bring the lower discharge level higher up with each subsequent cycle. The goal being to get that lower discharge level to 5000mAh or higher. I thought each subsequent cycle you did would keep bringing that value up until it would not go any higher and thus let you know the max capacity of that module. However I've gotten the following - after reaching good levels of 5903mAh discharge & 7500mAh charge & thinking the modules were good, I ran more cycles to try and improve that 5903mAh discharge level even more. But instead of getting better or staying the same, most modules have actually gone lower (as low as 2168mAh in one case on what was previously 5930mAh). So are the modules just bad, is my understanding of the process wrong, or am I doing something wrong? The cells in blue are cycles run after the module had already reached 5000mAh+ & 7500mAh. (I'm charging @ 3A & discharging @ 1A).
    Thanks for any info or insights.
    PriusBattery.JPG

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What kind of charging and discharging systems are you using?

In general, you need lab grade equipment to measure true mAh amounts because more primitive devices won't measure that accurately. Once a module is fully charged, the amount of voltage loss after 2 minutes on a 12v 50w bulb is good way to match a batch of modules. Also a thermal camera can help you find cells running hot that are soon to fail. And measuring voltage loss after a fully charge module has sat for a few days or longer is essential too. What you're looking for in all this is not precise numbers, but a sense of all modules being similar in behavior.

As for reconditioning results. Some packs respond really well, some packs don't...

What are your discharge thresholds for reconditioning? I prefer down to 5v, then down to 3v, then down to 1v.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is nothing wrong with those modules that have the low discharge numbers. Your problem is that your charge cycle is stopping too early. Most likely due to a false deltaV trigger or too low of a setting in the parameters.

You will never discharge more energy from a battery than it had put into it from the previous charge.

How are you cooling them while under charge? Temp will affect how the charger detects a fully charged condition. What gauge wire are you using for the cables? How are they connected to the modules? many things can affect the voltage (and voltage change) read by the charger, which is used to trigger a detection of 'fully charged', whether true or false.

For the purposes of DIY, you can use even the most inaccurate charger/discharger ever manufactured, as long as it's consistent. If all you're looking for is improvement and then a plateau, it's all relative.

#3 TMR-JWAP, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    tungm likes this.
  4. PriusOwner428

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm using what I thought was the Cadillac of DIYers, the EV-Peak CQ3 (100Wx4 & 10Ax4). I paid the extra money so I wouldn't have to experiment, guess, have it take too long, and to make it as close to "plug and play" as possible. The cables I think are 18AWG and are rated way above what I'm using them for here. I have no idea what the discharge thresholds are. I assumed my "plug and play" approach would take care of that for me. When I set it up I just selected - NiHM discharge/charge cycle, charge 3A discharge 1A, charge capacity cut-off 7500mAH, Reading the charger manual, I see that the default NiHM delta peak sensitivity is 7mV/cell. So I guess that would mean 7mV X # of cells per module would give me the voltage you're asking about.

I kept hearing that the modules would get hot during this process. I never once felt the modules or charging cables get even warm at any time. All these modules started being measured at 7.5V +/-0.1, so their voltages were very tight before starting this process.

PriusBattery1.JPG PriusBattery2.JPG

5. PriusOwner428

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks. I think I might have answered your questions in my reply to camper. But the fact I never felt the modules or cables even get warm, seems to point to not properly charging them on the charge cycle.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have (7) of the CQ3 4x100 models manufactured by EVPeak. Had 'em for a few years and they just roll right along. Work great for me.
    I use a max of 8200, charge at 2 amps and discharge 1.5 down to 5.8 volts. I also use 16 gauge wire, which is heavier than what you're using, even though my current level is lower. I also use spade connectors crimped to the wires and fastened to the terminals using the busbar nuts. I do not use alligator clips, as they are too unreliable. You're probably getting double my voltage drop between the charger and module during the charge cycle.

You're not going to feel any heat generated in the modules until after they are at full charge. Once fully charged, any additional 'charge' is going to be converted to heat, instead of stored energy.

tungm likes this.
  7. PriusOwner428

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    OK. Thanks. I can easily change the max charge to 8200 & the charge/discharge values. I can also cut off the alligator clips and crimp and solder spade connectors. What I still don't get is the voltage value everyone else seems to be aware of except me. You say you discharge down to 5.8 volts. In my setup I never saw a setting to select discharge voltage under the NiHM D>C sequence. Going back to my previous answer. since the only default I found in the manual says "delta peak sensitivity" is 7mV/cell & there are 6 cells per module, that would mean 42mV per module. So to get to 5.8V, do I need to find a way to make/change that default/setting to 96mV? 0.96x6=5.8V

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The delta V and the discharge voltage are totally different items. The discharge voltage is where the CQ3 will stop drawing current from the battery and start its rest period prior to starting the charge portion. The delta peak is a change in voltage the CQ3 algorithm is looking for when it does its charge routine. During the charge portion, you'll notice the charge current will frequently drop to 0 amps. During this time, the charger is monitoring the module voltage, looking for voltage changes that would be consistent with a battery reaching a full charge status. If that threshold isn't satisfied, then the charger will continue the charge again. Over and over, until either the threshold is achieved, or a max limit (like 7500 mah) is reached.

In the 'user set' menu, just set the mv to 20, which should be the max iirc. This helps to ensure the charge goes the full distance based on the mah limit. Even then, sometimes the threshold is reached and the charge will stop.
    After you select NiMH, step through the menu until you reach the screen for setting the discharge current level. That screen also has the lower voltage setting.

#8 TMR-JWAP, Apr 6, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    PriusCamper and PriusOwner428 like this.
  9. PriusOwner428

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks again. Will go through the settings tomorrow. If I can find all the parameters and change them, will start this process again from the start to see if the results make more sense to me.

10. PriusOwner428

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My user set menu did not have anything I could identify as "mv".What is that an abbreviation for? Two potential issues. My user manual calls some buttons slightly different from what is actually labelled on the unit.The unit I have is red and branded Bguad instead of blue and EV-PEAK. I wonder if there are minor differences between the two and the user manual is generic for the two.
    In reading through the manual & going through the charger menus I saw that the cycle program uses the charge and discharge values found in the manual programs. So I think I found where I can enter the 5.8V discharge value now.

11. tungm

tungm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PriusOwner428, I'm reading through the forums to get as much info as I can find before I start reconditioning my Aqua(Prius C) HV battery. I also just got one CQ3 4x100W EV Peak charger. I'd like to know how long it took you to cycle all your modules after you set the charger correctly? Also kindly highlight if you had success with your HV battery, did you get consistent results after the changes?

12. Zeruff

Zeruff New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yea, I've noticed this as well, especially when trying to do a top balance (300 mA, 16 hours). Even at such a low current and with the delta peak sensitivity set to 20mV/cell, these CQ3's would still detect a peak and terminate the program. If I keep restarting the program everytime it detects a peak, it seems like it's less likely to detect one and just let the program run. I'm guessing this happens because not all the cells top off at the same exact time.