1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinder 1 misfire and other codes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mattdhurley12, Jan 24, 2017.

1. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 prius with 130000 miles on it. Until recently, it has been the perfect car. A couple of weeks ago, my battery died and I had to jump it. A couple of days after, I started to get a shuddering engine(misfire). I took it to Toyota and they scanned it and these codes came up.
    P0138, p0607, and p031. My check engine light had been on as well. The guy at Toyota said they would need to look at it further but that it was most likely a bad ECM. "Come back on Monday". I have since replaced the battery and spark plugs and checked to see if misfire followed coil. It didn't. I also bought a scan tool and cleared the codes. It drove great after this and I thought it was fixed but today it has misfired a couple of times and I have the cylinder 1 code again, although pending. What's the deal man? Can anyone help?

iPhone ?

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A quick Google search shows that other Toyota owners have had P0138 and P0607 together. It may be possible that the O2 sensor out of range does something funny to the ECM, and clearing the O2 problem with a tuneup generally fixes everything. A fault in cylinder 1 (possibly fuel injector since you changed plugs) could be the root cause.

Have you checked the voltage on your 12V battery? Search the forum for the procedure and thresholds. In short, it should read about 12.6 with no load, and 12.4 in ACC mode. Low 12V plays havoc with the computers.

And you may want to post in the Gen 3 forum, in case it's substantially different in this area than the Gen 2.

Rebound likes this.
  3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could be very simple. If it was sitting several days and it only did it when you first fired it up it's probably just a vapor lock problem that happens after sitting long periods.
    Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

If that's the case usually just turning it off and back on will fix it, otherwise put it on gear and drive it to clear the vapor lock in usually seconds.

4. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

iPhone ?

My battery just read 13.6 with car off. I have also noticed while watching live data that my o2 b1 s1 is fluctuating in a very low range, dipping into the negatives and rarely getting above .5. Could this mean anything?

iPhone ?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's something wrong with your meter. 12v batteries don't read 13.6 stone cold.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AGM batteries could, if he measured it immediately after switching the car off.
    This is why you have the P0138 code. The B1S2 O2 sensor should show a consistent voltage. You need to check the efficiency of the cat to find the root cause of the sensor voltage fluctuating.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood, thanks.

8. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just measured again 12.9

iPhone ?

My B1S2 is consistent. It's my B1S1 that's fluctuating in that low range. It's confusing though because after I reset the codes, no oxygen sensor codes have been thrown as of yet, just the cylinder 1 misfire code.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure, your 12 V is not the problem. I'd ignore the P0607 to do with the Cruise Control, for the moment – it may be a red herring, or a totally separate problem.

P0031 = Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

This code is saying that low voltage is detected on the heater circuit of the air/fuel ratio sensor. This is the pre-cat sensor (B1S1).

The P0138 indicates high voltage on the B1S2 sensor (the post-cat o2 sensor). You need to verify the operation of the B1S1 sensor and replace if you find it is defective. Clear the codes and see how the both sensors looks after that.

EDIT: Our posts crossed. I misread your post where you said it was the B1S1.

So is the other code P0301?

10. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The original three codes were P0607, PO138, and P0301. The only code that has returned after reset is P0301. I only mentioned the live data on B1S1 because the range looked low. The data on B1S2 appears to be within normal range.

iPhone ?

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, understood. A bit spooky that the P0031 is a code for the B1S1 sensor.

The other codes could have been fallout of the low 12 V battery which resulted in you having to have a jump. If they don't come back, I'd go with that.

Don't have any further ideas on the misfire, but would be loathe to say that it points to a ECM failure. I believe used ones are cheap from a salvage yard, but they are cheap because there is low demand as these are really reliable. But if you wanted to take a punt and replace it, that is your call.

In terms of drivability, where do you notice the misfire? Just on idle?

Has the car ever been run low on oil?

12. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

iPhone ?

It doesn't happen at idle, it happens at higher speeds, above 30mph. I don't think it's ever been run low on oil. If it's the ECM, then why hasn't that code returned?

iPhone ?

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok.
    Ok.
    Which code are you talking about?

14. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The ECM code (P0607)

iPhone ?

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly because of a one-off anomaly caused by the low 12 V on the CAN-BUS when you have the flat battery.

I was only suggesting the ECM as it may be causing the mis-fire as the mis-fire did not follow the coil when you swapped it. However, the injector and related systems can also be a suspects.

However, I am loathe to suggest a faulty ECM as there could be other reasons, for example an intermittently faulty sensor feeding bad data to the ECM.

But I'm probably at the limits of how I can help, so I am really hoping some other members will be able to chip in with advice.

16. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cool thanks

iPhone ?

17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are you the DIY type? Have you pulled the egr pipe and seen if there is any carbon buildup? What did the old spark plugs look like when you replaced them? Cleaned the MAF sensor? Throttle body? What type of gas do you buy? Top tier or whatever is available when you need it?

Keep us posted(y).

18. mattdhurley12

mattdhurley12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I can get my hands dirty. As long as I have instructions to follow, I'm confident in doing most projects. The spark plugs had some rust on them. I didn't use a torque wrench either, not sure if that caused any issues. I have the Haynes repair manual so I'll look into egr pipe, MAF sensor, and throttle body. Are these basic procedures? I usually use mid-grade, but my last fill-up I used premium and also added some Seafoam injector treatment. Could it be my fuel injectors? Oil overfill?

iPhone ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Many of these have videos in the Gen 3 maintenance section. @NutzAboutBolts has a lot of the normal maintenance activities covered in the videos. They are helpful:).

For your answers, was there a dark "halo" on the porcelain? Rust on the metal might indicate water pooling on top of the plug. I know it has been raining out here pretty good recently, is your engine bay getting wet, like the hood not seating properly? Did you get the spark plugs in square?

Who is your main source of gas? Chevron, Shell, Arco? What did you see after using sea foam? Use any other fuel injector cleaner?

With 130 k miles on the clock for a 2012, sounds like you do a lot of highway driving. Any oil consumption? If so, how much? What is your normal traveling speed?

What is your oil level at?

Sorry for all the questions, but there are a lot of great trouble shooters on this forum and you never know what answer may trigger an insight(y).

20. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have checked spark plug gap.....did fuel you filled last time have water .......

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.