1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinder 2 misfire at random startups

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Arnel Santiago, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Arnel Santiago

Arnel Santiago New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Many people seem to encounter this issue. I’m trying to wrap my head around it but I think I understand it. Here we go- dirty egr and a bad pcv system design caused high temps in the combustion chamber heating up my gasket and leading it to fail, which now leaks coolant in the chamber when not running and when it fires up the ICE we get a rattle and a shake(misfire).

I’ve also noticed a some oil on the backside of the passenger corner of the engine more on the lower end. There’s some 20-22 AWG wiring inside some plastic flex and it goes to some kind of a sensor. I’m guessing that it’s a knock or crank speed sensor. Idk. So I checked my oil and I was .5 quart low. Looked at the coolant and I was low on that too.

I have 178k miles and I’m so worried about getting the car fixed...cost/downtime.

Solution: get head gasket replaced and have mechanic clean egr and ports and all that intake manifold stuff then install the oil catch can and hopefully the car is back to “normal”.

Ok I’m ready for the replies! Hit me!

-Arnel

mjoo and m.wynn like this.
  2. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would add donor engine swap as another option, if you can source one under (preferably well under) 100k miles at a price that competes with the head gasket repair job. Be sure it gets the entire EGR circuit clean procedure before it goes into service.

You have a clear headed understanding of where you're at and have come to the right place for advice/support(y).

Arnel Santiago and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your posting this in the wrong forum. This is the G2 forum you want the G3 forum.

Arnel Santiago likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • Have you owned the 2010 since new?
    • How often do you check fluid levels?
    • Have you only done by the book maintenance to your Prius?
    • Are you the DIY type or do you take your Prius to a shop for servicing?
    • If servicing somewhere, what shop do you use?
    • Have you noticed any cold knock symptoms?
    • How’s the mpg?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

m.wynn, Arnel Santiago and edthefox5 like this.
  5. Arnel Santiago

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry about that. Forgive my noobness. Is there a way for move it over to gen 3?

Donor engine swap? I’m not familiar with this. Wouldn’t you be afraid of it’s condition as well? I’m open to any/all routes to get the car back to normal. I wouldn’t even know where to start looking for one.

• Have you owned the 2010 since new? No, I bought it in July 2013. Second owner with 67k. They did all rec maintenance at Percy Toyota I think. They had all records.
    • How often do you check fluid levels? I check bi monthly.
    • Have you only done by the book maintenance to your Prius? Yes.
    • Are you the DIY type or do you take your Prius to a shop for servicing? I am a DIY guy, but due to a lack of space I’ve brought in the car for servicing.
    • If servicing somewhere, what shop do you use? Daly City Toyota for the cooling system maintenance and CVT service. Spark plugs changed by local mechanic.
    • Have you noticed any cold knock symptoms? yes. Randomly at start up.
    • How’s the mpg? We drive pretty hard. 80-85 freeway on I-5. 75 everywhere else. ~43-45. I drove 220 miles a few weeks ago at 75 cruising all the through at 50.5mpg.

#5 Arnel Santiago, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
    m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Arnel Santiago

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know of a reputable shop to fully diagnose and know the common issues with these Prius’? I’m in Daly City, CA. Thank you!

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since you are the diy type, but short on places to work, the following is available:):

Possible Monthly install meets. Bay Area-Fremont

The egr circuit will need to be cleaned from cooler through the intake manifold. Installing an oil catch can will also help keep components out of the combustion chamber;).

I would monitor the fluid levels and keep them topped up. If the head gasket is failed, @Joele3 found that head sealer worked for him to buy some time. But a new engine would work.

@leeb18c did a head gasket swap on his while the block was still in the Prius :).

So there are options ;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

RMB, Arnel Santiago, m.wynn and 2 others like this.
  8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's certainly an option that some choose, and I think you're in a very good region for shopping locally. Of course there is risk, but really not any more than buying an entire car used, imo. Sticking with a donor from a full rear or light front/side hit car should work out well. I stress low-mileage because it increases the chances of getting a non-oil burner that hasn't had it's top end cooked due to EGR blockage. From there you could try and stay ahead of these issues with short oil change intervals and scheduled, entire EGR circuit cleanings.

RMB, Arnel Santiago and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Arnel Santiago

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’d definitely be interested in a meet like this to install a OCC and clean out the the egr circuit. I’ll bring a bottle of scotch and extra oil.

Raytheeagle likes this.