1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinder misfire. Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Aaron Vitolins, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Take your time laying out the nuts and bolts as you remove each one. It helps to have a large table or clear space where you can lay them with their associated parts, or write down where they came from. With that engine cowling, it can take up a LOT of room, but this will save you a lot of frustration when you reassemble. If you have a helper, this is something for them to do while you’re tearing out parts.

Using a power tool to remove bolts is great, but always always hand thread them back on, and then you can use the power tool. Otherwise, you’re guaranteed to strip a thread sooner or later.

Good luck, have fun, play rock and roll as you work.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This will be the 2nd time for the egr system for me. And 3rd time removing the wipers.
    The wipers assembly is a 5 minute job. Actually, 4th time. Had to remove it for the new windshield.

I just lay the nuts and bolts aside, they only go one way. Like I said. VERY easy!
    Everyone seems to want to make a big deal of it, but it really isn't.

Toyota will have the last 3 gaskets I need for the egr system tomorrow.
    I have everything else already.

I don't need any power tools for this. I never overtighten nuts or bolts. Since I'm the one who
    removes them the next time, I want to make sure it will be easy! :)
    I can't remember which decade it was I last stripped a bolt. I've had to fight with the last person
    who did and I was the lucky one to work on it next though......
    I don't have a compressor so I can't use my air tools anyway.

If I had more time next week, I'd replace the valve guide seals. But it's in the near future!

This truly is a one man job. The hardest part for me is leaning over the fender so much.
    Kills my antique back! And I use my van to store the parts.

But thanks for the help and info! It will also be good for someone doing it the first time. (y);)

Robert Holt likes this.
  3. NorCal PiP

NorCal PiP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    2013 Plug-in 156,000 on motor. Paid 6700 in February. No oil consumption. Out of no where p0131 cel, misfire. Drinking coolant. Second owner. Good maintenance records. This is a piece of shit motor. Very disillusioned with the Prius reliability. This thread tells me that Get 3 blown head gasket is a known flaw. Should have stuck to Mazda 3 and my Civics that have both surpassed 230,000 miles.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Too bad. P0301?

5. evilchargerfan

evilchargerfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    going from a ct200h (3rd gen prius motor) to a 2015 honda fit, was a decision I dont regret.

similar mpg, much easier maintenance, lower ownership cost.

I for one dont miss driving a hybrid.

(fun fact, just sold my 2000 honda insight a week ago, I do genuinely miss that little thing. 60+ mpg was so darn sweet)

6. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely the turd gen!

I think the 4th gen will be a much more reliable long term vehicle like the old Gen 2 Prius.

my sister Prius is on it’s second engine in her 2010. The second engine was from a 2013 plug-in, now it’s blown too with only about 145k. It’s got 277k in the hybrid battery with no issues.

I already know of someone with over 300k on his 2016. No oil consumption, or any issues at all. I think he did have a wheel bearing or two. He gets over 50 mpg driving over 80 MPH all day long. Amazing

tankyuong and mjoo like this.