1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinder misfire. Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Aaron Vitolins, Mar 5, 2017.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Misfires and adding coolant, bad combo

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The comment about having to add coolant has me concerned. That could be a bad sign and one of a head gasket failed.

I would take time and ensure it gets worked on before it gets worse.

Does she have access to another car for a bit until the intake manifold is gone through and cleaned?

Will she have to use a mechanic or will you be helping with the DIY? The intake manifold should take 1-2 hours to remove and clean. The egr system is more involved and best done with removing the windshield wiper cowling for access. If you are going to tackle the egr cooler replacement, drain the engine coolant as it will prevent coolant from being all over her engine bay;).

If I were closer, I would offer to help. But I can only offer suggestions.

Let us know what other questions you have.

Hope that helps(y).

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I'm scared! This Prius has already had more problems than her last one. She was in a wreck and totaled her 2005. She drove the piss out it for years and never had any problems. Now this one the is trying to baby it and she's having problem. Praying it isn't a dog! She already had to replace the hybrid battery fan. Also some of the interior electronics are glitchy.

Side note, this car is a gorgeous model five, silver with the five spoke 17" wheels, leather, navi, led headlights.

4. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow thank you so much. You don't know how much that mean to me! This is the best car forum on the internet for sure.

She has a truck that she can use but it isn't very safe or reliable either. And it gets 13 miles per gallon. She uses her Prius for work. I'll have to talk with her about all this information tomorrow.

It will be my father and I doing the work. He's done everything so far. He is basically a mechanic. He's removed and rebuilt engines in his spare time before. So he's pretty capable diy!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My curiousity level is a little higher :). Why did she have to replace the hybrid battery fan?

We have 150 k miles on our 2010 Prius II which we have owned since mile 14 and no issues with any electronics, especially the HV battery fan. I know the fan works well, as I have installed the Prolong Discharge Ready harness and used the Charger once with good results :).

What did the car fax show before the purchase? Clean title?

6. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't remember about the car fax other than one owner. She fan just quit! Took it to Toyota and wanted like $500! She bought a used one for $60 and my dad installed it. My best friend has a 2011 Prius and it had the same failure! Only Toyota had to pay for it. Very strange, because I haven't heard much about that happening on here.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I learned most things from my old man and keep him occupied when he comes out to visit;). I do most of the work under the car now, and he fills the "consultant" or supervisor role, which for some reason he relishes:cautious:.

Even though the options might not be the most fuel efficient, iMO it will be in the best interest of the Prius to let it sit until some things are sorted out.

The worst thing she could do is continue to operate it when the car is throwing a code telling her what the problem is. That is the great thing about cars now a days. They tell you the code, you just need to determine what the code means and how to tackle it.

Keep us posted(y)

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Haven't heard of many failures of the fan on here either(n). Did she just get the "Check Hybrid System" message on the display?

9. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. So did my best friend. The whole dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It just quit mid drive! She was on the highway when it quit.

10. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very worried now, guys talked to my sister and she said the coolant reservoir was empty! I'm thinking it could actually be the head gasket. It probably sucked in a lot of coolant since she went on a road trip with it two weeks ago and got a speeding ticket going 90 mph :( (side note, glad she got a ticket, it will force her to slow down! I'm always telling her to slow down!)

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    AV,

Watching this one from the wings and hoping for the best. At the risk of implying sexism, any chance she's looking at the wiper fluid reservoir?... Don't panic til you've looked it over yourself.

Aaron Vitolins and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks man, I'll forgive you sexist remark! I sure hope she is looking at the wiper fluid reservoir

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reservoir empty is no big deal, radiator empty is a big deal

14. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Water pumps and hoses can also leak but not sure how often that happens on a Prius.
    According to some other users these pumps also can fail without warning causing overheating of the engine and rough running.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Still, if your reservoir is quickly going down, something bad is happening.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    here is your red flag. the previous owner traded it in knowing well about bad HG.

17. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I'm thinking. Oh goodness! *grabs a bottle of head gasket fix, dumps it in and drives down to trade it in* :)

18. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

19. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I talked with my sister. It was indeed very low on coolant. It also uses about 1.5 qts of oil every 2,000 miles. If it is indeed the head gasket she likes the idea of a engine replacement.

I found a wrecked 2012 plug-in Prius with 44k. That's at local yard that I've bought parts from. They are selling it for $1000. My dad would put the engine in. She also likes the idea about not having to add oil anymore!

Would it be worth it to pay Toyota $90 to tell us that it IS the the head gasket or not? Thanks for everything guys! PC is the absolute best :)

Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would buy the engine and prepare for the swap. $1 for a 44k mile engine seems reasonable.

Hope she got a good deal on the Prius given the amount of time your father will be investing in it.

m.wynn likes this.