1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinder misfire solved

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by milkman44, Jan 6, 2018.

1. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought I'd start a separate thread so I don't clutter up the other thread.
    I took the left front tire and wheel to the shop and had a new tire mounted. Went to the ATM after dark Wed night and hit a curb turning into the drive, instant flat. I put the temp spare on and the TPM light and check engine light was on, made it home. I put the new tire on and drove it to the mailbox, TPM light off, CEL still on. When it warms up today, I'll check the code and see what's going on. The thing I hate the worse is, I scratched the bottom corner of the new bumper cover.:(

2. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Follow up:
    It was really cold the night I curbed the tire, I left the car on ready to keep the heater going and noticed that the engine was misfiring, when I got back into the car, of course the TPM light was on and the CEL right beside it was on also. I drove the car again today and several times I noticed the misfiring when cruising, not noticed when under load. I had never had any of this before the jolt from the tire curbing, been too cold here to check anything but anyone got any ideas what this might be and why it started with the bump from the curb? I'll see if I can pull the CEL code.

3. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P0301 and P0303, still baffling that it just started with the jolt from hitting the curb. Codes cleared, but I'm sure they'll be back.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You don’t have any fluids leaking onto the ground?

No loose connections in the engine bay?

Notice any difference when turning or steering?

How does it track going down the road?

Check all levels in the engine bay and all are up and none are low?

How many miles are you up to?

Ever clean the egr circuit through to the intake manifold?

Consuming any oil?

Since it is a check engine light, a generic code reader will be able to get the codes. When you get them, post em up, but of misfiring, they will probably be P0300 through P0304.

Keep us posted (y).

5. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another update: I took the car to the shop today and the tech ran a scan with Snap On scanner. The EGR checked good and no sign of coolant leak. We pulled the coil packs to check for carbon tracing and found none. We then pulled the plugs and found the gap was about .055. These are the Denso Iridium, same part # as the original plugs. The gap was so wide because the ground electrode was eroded, no Iridium pad on the ground electrode. The original Denso Iridium plugs with 140,000 miles have the little pad of Iridium on the tip. I put the original plugs back in and all is good. I don't understand why there is a difference in the original and the same brand and part # of the replacement that turned out to be junk. The plugs that replaced the original have about 40,000 miles on them and are garbage. If I had looked closer, I would have noticed they were not double Iridium, just a note to self, Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!:whistle:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don’t have any fluids leaking onto the ground? NONE

No loose connections in the engine bay? NONE

Notice any difference when turning or steering? NONE

How does it track going down the road? Straight as before.

Check all levels in the engine bay and all are up and none are low? All correct

How many miles are you up to? 181,000

Ever clean the egr circuit through to the intake manifold? Nope.

Consuming any oil? 1qt. in 4600 miles, have done another round of the EPR flush and watching level

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed the misfiring as I was changing the tire and then saw the CEL when I got back in the car. I think it just started because of the cold weather and wasn't noticeable when driving. The only time it was felt was when idling or no load on the engine. The cold and the flat and the CEL all happening at the same time must have been just a coincidence.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like it is as the systems are not tied together.

Glad you figured it out (y).

9. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was afraid it would be a costly repair, EGR and cooler or possibly a head gasket

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When did this misfire occur

#10 douglasjre, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  11. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re read my post, I didn't say anything about closing the gap. Where did I say anything about a start up knock?

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where did you buy those plugs from, and is it possible that they are counterfeit?

padroo likes this.
  13. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A repair shop figured out what was causing my startup knock. They said they cleaned a sensor. I don't know which one til I get to them. Any ideas or bets on which sensor that might be?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a similar issue with a set of Denso plugs I bought. My mpg went down quite a bit for unknown reason. After a few months, I put back the old set of plugs and everything is back to normal. Something is not right with the new Denso plugs

16. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same plug number?

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just picked up the car and I talked to the mechanic who put in the water pump. He told me that there never was a start-up knock and they kept restarting the car to try and recreate it but there does not seem to be a problem. What the heck could it have been?

18. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    In the end I proved what caused the knock, and why it mysteriously went away. It started after I added water to the antifreeze for the engine. I tried replacing plugs and egr to no avail. That's ebcause there was pure water in the system. It went away after putting antifreeze. I recreated the problem by draining the antifreeze and putting in water. I even had the problem when running 75% water, 25% antifreeze. 50/50 green antifreeze was good, no knock. Finally I put 50/50 HOAT and it was good. Tried water again and it knocked again. I put my old rad cap on that no longer holds pressure and no knock, but put the new cap on and also no knock. Of course I did not intend to keep the bad cap, but that was a test too.

So why does too much water cause the knock? And no, there is no leak across the head gasket, thank you for asking....

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Water should not have that effect.
    Interesting finding

#19 JC91006, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Water has a lower boiling temperature. If your coolant turns to gas there's less heat transfer to the coolant. The result is a hotter running engine and hot spots which can lead to pinging.

Pixel XL ?