1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cylinders misfiring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Caldwell, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    One of the lucky few the force is with you buddy be happy..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you read about three posts back he's the one that stuck the q-tip down in the cylinders after they sat overnight and verified they were dry change the plugs and what have you I believe and the codes and the misses went away Very lucky if you're lucky and you catch it early enough you can catch it I don't know how long it'll extend your use of that engine but it's worth a shot You don't need really need a mechanic to come out You need to learn how to undo the wiper tray taking the wipers off No they're not hard to index and return to the car. And take the plugs out yourself let the car sit overnight or a long time then swab the insides with long q-tip or something absorbent and see if anything is leaking into the cylinder gas or water coolant. If you know none of that is going on maybe you'll change your plugs You can usually tell by looking at them that it would be a good idea. And of course making sure that you're coils and whatnot are good so the cylinders that you were getting misfires on after you get nothing on the q-tips and you're going to change your plugs move the two coils of the two cylinders that were misfiring or the one cylinder move those two or one coil to another cylinder put it all together leave the wiper tray out start up the car see what you got If you still have a mist did it move to the cylinder where you put the thought to be offending coil? Or is it completely different You have to write it down or mark or something you have to remember so best to put a line on the valve cover on the wire or something the coil itself. But you really don't need a mechanic to do this this is pretty easy stuff with very basic hand tools the famously lost 10 mm wrench and socket a quarter drive extension and ratchet handle of course a spark plug wrench for the correct size spark plugs and I can't remember what that is right now 9/16 14 mm or something like that and that should do it and truly a mechanic really isn't needed just somebody to pay attention and go over the stuff carefully make notes and then get back to the list

MikeV likes this.
  3. MikeV

MikeV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks for the reply. i prob could do these things except i suffer from some medical issues that prevent all the bending, contortions and clear focus. I do like to be there and see what the mechanic does which is another reason I dont like shops that have you wait in a remote room or call you to tell you what they found. even the somewhat honest ones i think will try to stick you for a more costly dx if they can. i did speak to a mobile mechanic today who works on hondas and toyotasexclusively. i got a good vibe over the phone. he cant come by for a couple of days so my car will sit most of that time. i may need to take a quick trip to the store tomorrow but then home. ive watch many videos and the forum is very helpful. my big concern is. 1st i love my 2010 its been a great car and i wanted to try to keep it going for another couple years or until the car markets settle down(hopefully) i also was very interested in eventually buying a gen 5 but since they are hard to come by , cost has gone up and like evry new gen they have new issues that pop up in the 1st or 2nd year that need changed to the edition. since covid screwed up parts, inventories and some good engineers \mechanics etc as well that left or didnt come back.
    I did have someone i will never let look at my car again stop by yesterday and my gut said no but i thought how bad could it be if he just checked the sparks etc.. i knew and watched hime take things apart he wasnt as delicate... in any case the straw was he kept trying to remove a spark with a 5\8 and try three he had and i said stop i think you need a mertic and he looked dumbfounded. in any case since the coils were exposed he pulled 1 and 2 both were dry and. but since no plugs were pulled not sure. one thing interesting though is on coil 2 there was a very faint rust coloron the bottom and i wiped away with finger. it was very minimal but i read somwhere today about that so not sure if that is normal. I am relying on this new guy to give it to me straight and then decide based on what he determines if i should just sell it and try to get into somethingelse. he was knowledgeable of all the componets. he charges a dx fee which he said included checking out the codes, test drive pull plugs etc. if he can narrow it down to either a plug or a coil there is an AAP just up the street. he mentioned possibly a leaking injector. but if the issue is erg he recommended replace assembly of that part with oem etc.. and he would charge labor and cost of parts. if unfortunatly its the gasket then not sure i want to put that money into it. im baseing the good chance its not because the rough starts misfire only started about a week ago and it misfires on lo gear or idling if the hybrid battery is low

#23 MikeV, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @MikeV maybe more efficient to tell your story in the thread you started yesterday?

My attention span is in the same league as your back, and it’s hard following this in 1/2 dozen threads you’ve posted in.

2010 hard rattle at start and idle | PriusChat

Kromis likes this.
  5. MikeV

MikeV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i agree but tombuk2 responded here so didnt want to ignore his reply

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Easy way to check for gasket leak is after a run switch car off and unscrew header tank cap.... Leave to cool overnight... Replace cap and if car now starts without misfire it's the gasket... If it still missfire it may be something else.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.