1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

D-Rings added to Prime cargo area...

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by Insighter, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Another question, if you don’t mind. Do those metal “hooks” you installed (the flat pieces you bent to hold the cargo net loops) get in the way when you’re trying top insert the tabs of the end of the retractable tonneau cover in that slot? They look like they might possibly interfere, or maybe get scratched each time you open and close the cover. I’m thinking about doing the same thing, but I’d like to know this first. Thanks!

2. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Insighter
    You were quoting yourself but I assume you're asking me? The hooks edges are not sharp at all so it doesn't scratch anything. I can rub my fingers on it and it's smooth. I had the hooks like that but if you are fabbing that hook, you can certainly make that hook longer and bend it out of the way if you're worrying...but it's really not a problem.

3. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oops, right you are. I was posting from a tablet and must have clicked on "Reply" on my own post. I'm glad you saw it, anyway, and replied. Okay, so you're saying they don't get in the way at all. That's good to hear, thank you.

They probably will fabricate them, but I'd use what you have if I had those pieces. It looks really well-done. I guess the only downside is the shallowness of the cargo area. If it was a few inches deeper, the net could fully extend. Of course, that's the compromise we've made to get the EV functionality.

I think you said you don't know what those pieces you used are actually from?

4. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    (deleted because replied to wrong post in this thread and have just re-posted this properly)

#24 Insighter, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  5. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oops, I posted this early this morning but, once again, I accident quoted and replied to my own post, so here it goes again:

Yesterday, I had my installer copy your hook installation for an upright cargo net, and I am very happy with the result (photos below) I'm very glad you posted your idea here. I want the flat cargo net, but I also want the upright one as it adds great functionality.

They had fabricate a "hook." He said he tried to find something that would work, but they just couldn't find anything. They said that what you used looks like it was maybe a piece that holds a throttle cable in place on a boat or something like that, but they just didn't have anything like that. So I paid about $135 for them to fabricate the pieces out of flat sheet metal. He said they cut the pieces and bent them around a small pipe. They then put heat shrink and felt on them so they wouldn't be sharp and would look nicer. I like the result, but I'd have gone with your hooks if I had a pair of them.

As you said is the case with yours, the retractable cargo cover closes well (as shown in the photos below). I think things put in this vertical net aren't very visible, even with the cargo cover retracted (since the net holds them all the way at the rear of the hatch (nearest the bumper). With the bottom of the net fastened to the D-rings I had installed, this net might work to keep anything from falling out of the cargo area when I open the hatch. I can still get into the little hidden storage area below as I need to (where the charging cable can be hidden), but not as easily as I can without the net secured at the bottom. I would not put lower D-rings in just to secure the bottom of this vertical cargo net. The net works fine without being secured at the bottom.

I bought the vertical storage net on craigslist. It's from a Lexus, and I got it for $29. vertical-cargo-net-hooks.jpg net-in-place-cargo-cover-closed-closeup.jpg net-in-place.jpg net-in-place-cargo-cover-closed.jpg