1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DAB Radio, is it the same as HD?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sphyrna, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just found out that Toyota offers a part outside the US called a DAB tuner. This is a Digital Audio Broadcast tuner, which sounds like what we would call HD in the US. See this for an installation manual and part numbers:
    http://toyota-tech.se/legacy/Toy/ai...rius_DAB_LHD_PZ473_T0210_A0_AIM_001_658_1.pdf

So the question is, does anyone know for certain that DAB is the same as HD? Will this tuner work in the US?

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In simple terms, NO!!!

Nobody broadcasts this format radio in the U.S.
    If you move to Europe, let us know how it works!!!

3. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, why did they stick us with the Satellite radios only in the US and Europe has the option for DAB? Is it as simple as XM paid them to keep HD off their cars?

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may be even simpler, there is currently not that much demand for HD radio, and how many Broadcasters have the money to pony up for that transmission system? Radio just does not happen, it costs BIG bucks. Is it worth their while right now?
    It wil be a couple of years yet before that is a option, much less a standad on autos! There may be a few now, but I have no I idea who.