1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dallas Realtor needs help with Prius or Camry

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by deswain1971, Jun 24, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Clients don't care about the realtor's image - Clients care about their own image!

Trust me the concern is finding the right real estate.

Clean, leather, and AC

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jun 25 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]467589[/snapback]</div>
    When I bought my house, I actually remember telling my wife, this guy (realtor) must be great. You can tell just by looking at his Lexus Sports Convertible. 1st impressions sold me.

3. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

I don't think the image of a Prius is what you're looking to project in Texas... not because of a political statement but because from the outside it looks like a compact car. If you do get a Prius, make sure your signs fit in the back.

I would say as a general guide for Dallas:

1. Houses up to $290K, a mid-size car is ok (targeting families making <$150K/yr.)
    2. Houses of $300K and upward, you want to have a full size car or a nice SUV that's easy to get in and out of. (targeting families making >$150K/yr.)

Your Passat W8 is actually a great vehicle. The Passat looks like a full size car, but also has the VW Hip Factor that wins you points with younger buyers. The W8 badge gets you the nod from the higher-end buyer.

My recommendation would be to just trade your Passat W8 for a 2006 Passat TDI (or wait for the 2008 VW ultra-low sulfur diesels).

4. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with what most of the others are saying.

Make sure the car is comfortable and plenty of leg room in the back with the front seat pushed all the way back. This way you could arry two (2) adult clients.

I have a Camry Hybrid (TCH). Most of the others here are just Prius-brainwashed robots :lol: --- Just Kidding, don't flame me. B) But they are CORRECT about lugging things around for open houses. The Camry cannot even come close to the luggage capacity of Prius. (TCH trunk = 10 cubic FT.)

Worried about "Making a statement" with a Prius -- This is a no-win area. Depending on the client their impressions coul be either "Oh, No, not another tree-hugger" or "Wow, someone is finally looking at our future." The TCH -- except for the HYBRID badges on the front fenders, it looks like a convential Camry.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: As a Real Estate Agent -- with hybrids (which ever one you chose) -- you can serenly drive down neighborhood streets, pointing out houses and the engine would be off! No need to talk over engine noise. B)

You mentioned test-driving a gas Camry 4-cylinder. If you weren't satisfied with the performance, try the 6-cylinder. Although the TCH has a 4-cylinder, the TCH gives close to the same performance as the 6-cylinder.

As far as keeping you car under 30K -- the Sticker Price for my fully loaded car: $30,784 ('07 TCH, purchased August '06).
    • Leather, Power Driver & Passenger seats -- 1,300
    • NAV -- 1,200
    • Moonroof -- 940 (Suggest omitting)
    • Carpet/Trunk Mats -- 199
      • Suggest going to Walmart and for $ 25, getting lower cost ones)
    • Body side Moulding -- 195 (Your choice)
    • Heated Front seats/Outside mirrors -- 470 (Dallas -- RIGHT) :lol:
    As you can see, TCH under $30K -- yes, easily.

Personal recommendations:
    Lugging stuff to & from, fuel economy: PRIUS
    Comfort, "middle of the road": Camry Hybrid

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 25 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]467758[/snapback]</div>
    But do you think that had he been professional, well dressed, enjoyable to spend time with, and driving a "normal" car you would not have bought a house from him?

6. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jun 25 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]467850[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct most likely I still would have. But just as you are more likely to get a job if you show up wearing dress clothes than you are if you dress down.

Another comment about high income family's, I would think that they would be more impressed with the Prius based on the fact that generally high income family's traditionally have higher education and embrace new technology. For example my aunt and uncle are very wealthy he does cancer research for a major private university in NC. So when I stopped and visited to my surprise they were very interested in everything about the Prius.

7. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

One thing for sure, the Prius with it's MFD and backup camara is a good conversation starter. Just remember to bring the focus back to real estate every once in a while. ;)

8. deswain1971

deswain1971 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Jun 25 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]467992[/snapback]</div>

Yes you are correct! This would be an excellent ICE breaker.

A number of people have made statements about appearance and professionalism. I want to add a little tid bit here i currently have a 585000 home under contract that I showed and wrote the offer while wearing a white polo shirt and jeans. People that think realtors need to wear suits from Zegna, and Armani are mistaken. There was a national poll not to long ago and Realtors ranked right below used car salesmen :lol: . The person makes the deal not the clothes.
    My concerns about my future vehicle are based on the following. 1. I need some space, enough to fit adults and some open signs, be presentable and comfy. 2. I need gas mileage as i hate throwing money away on gas. 3. I need resale value since i am spending money on it i want something back when it gets sold.

This brings me to another question, does anyone have info on what the 4th of July sales will bring? I asked my sales guy today while he ran my credit. He said he didnt know and of course he tried to get me to buy today. I have time to wait and see as the current incentives on the Camry dont run out until 7-9-07. I am hoping that there will be a good incentive on the Prius for the 4th.

Thanks
    Eric

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Jun 25 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]467813[/snapback]</div>
    I would love to get another VW but i have been mistreated by 2 different dealers here so I WILL NEVER BUY VW again!! I love my car with the exception that is has been in the shop for 2 of the past 8 moths. A total of 24000 VW has dumped in to it in the last month. The car is not worth that much...

Eric

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AXDSLNGR @ Jun 25 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]468061[/snapback]</div>
    If those are your concerns than either car will do, but the Prius edges out the Camry on cargo space and mileage.

The longer you wait the better the deal you might be able to make. The 2008s are coming so they're going to want to get rid of 2007s. Right now I think there are some deals on the packages the higher you go so go all the way for the leather #6.

Don't be afraid to travel to get what you want. If the dealers in your area don't have what you want look farther afield. Some have even bought out of state and driven back. You can always find what you're looking for (and at the price you want) in So. Cal and drive back to TX but I'm betting you won't have to go that far. But you might have to go outside Dallas.

10. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "I don't think the image of a Prius is what you're looking to project in Texas... not because of a political statement but because from the outside it looks like a compact car. If you do get a Prius, make sure your signs fit in the back.

I would say as a general guide for Dallas:

1. Houses up to $290K, a mid-size car is ok (targeting families making <$150K/yr.)
    2. Houses of $300K and upward, you want to have a full size car or a nice SUV that's easy to get in and out of. (targeting families making >$150K/yr.)"

My parents lived in River Oaks in Houston for 15 years and now in Rancho Santa Fe, and Palm Springs, California- My stepdad loves his Mercedes S600, his Gulfstream, his Bentley and his 8 to 20 million dollar pieces of Real Estate. He does not give a hang for what everyone else drives. He thinks my Prius is "cute" and "neat". He also drove my Honda Accord Hatchback and thought it was "zippy" and "suprisingly fun".

He thought I was "smart" to buy the Prius. Many of my friends that have Luxury cars think my Prius is "Hip".

My best friend's mother (an Heiress to a milling fortune) just bought her daughter a 760 LI BMW and herself a 2005 used Prius. She can buy anything she wants.

You need to be comfortable with the "Image" you project and not hung up on the Image you want to project . It is not that important anymore. People want a genuine, honest hardworking realtor.

"One thing that hasn't been mentioned: As a Real Estate Agent -- with hybrids (which ever one you chose) -- you can serenly drive down neighborhood streets, pointing out houses and the engine would be off! No need to talk over engine noise."

This is so true.

11. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

^^Some good counterpoints by several people to one of my earlier posts.

I was surprised at the enthusiastic reaction I got from co-workers who rode in it for the first time. Lots of "cools" and "neats". The Prius seems like a "normal" car to me, so perhaps my perspective is likely the one that's skewed.

12. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AXDSLNGR @ Jun 24 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]467330[/snapback]</div>
    If you go with the Prius, I would recommend adding at least Leather and Bluetooth.
    In your line of work, taking and making a call on the go really necessitates the
    handsfree feature.

Leather speaks for itself, but be sure to get tint all around to keep the car cool in the
    Texas heat.

The Smart Key System would be fun to show off. All in all, I think the Prius has a lot
    of neat stuff that can be used as ice-breakers and get your clients comfortably engaged.

13. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could always go for that Texas stereotype and get the big Suburban or full size pickup crew cab with the dually wheels in the back, or get an H2 (those vehicles all say BAMF right on them)

yes that is taken from Dane Cook and it means bad a-- m----- f-----