1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

damage to clear bra?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bob Allen, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm following this chatline with some curiosity. Like all of you, I don't like the idea of chips and dings in my paint, but haven't had much problem with that on previous cars.
    My questions: 1. What happens when the clear bra gets dinged? Do we have some way of reparing that? Granted, it will protect the paint probably, but now you have a torn piece of plastic that will admit dirt and dust under the plastic cover. 2. Putting an essentially water impermeable substance over paint leads me to ask what heat from sunlight will do to the paint. Will it cause the paint to lift? 3. Most plastics get brittle in UV light, and many fade from totally clear to brownish clear. Is this stuff going to look ragged and fuzzy after a few years, like old ragtop rear windows?
    I'd like to hear some stories from folks who've had this on cars for a while.
    Bob
    p.s. What about those plastic bug deflectors that mounted on the hood? Not as elegant looking, but they avoid any direct contact with the paint while still keeping bugs and rocks off. Anyone know a source for same?

2. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Hey Bob,

I think Canada has them there bug refelectors...(said with my best redneck impression given that I associate people with bug reflectors with that.)

I'll let you know about my clear bra in time. So far, okay. It does have a warranty with it, and I asked how long before replacement. They said it usually last around 5 years or so.

Given that these were orginally designed for helicopter blades, I really don't see dings or rips in the material. More like it will transfer most the damage through to the sheet metal/aluminum before it gets hurt itself. I see it more like a shock absorber so the material doesn't chip the paint so easily. (And it does chip easily!)

Xo

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bob,
    As a pilot you might appreciate the fact that this film was developed by 3M to protect the leading edge of helicopter blades during Desert Storm. It performed so well that 3M has found many more applications since then. The film itself is eight thousands of an inch thick and made out of a tough urethane with a glossy topcoat.

1. What happens when the clear bra gets dinged? Do we have some way of repairing that? Granted, it will protect the paint probably, but now you have a torn piece of plastic that will admit dirt and dust under the plastic cover.

ANSWER: The film is so much more resilient than the paint that most dings will not be noticed. I had it on a previous car and never had it penetrated by a rock. If the paint is damaged enough to be repaired the film can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging paint surfaces beneath the film. I was in an accident and had to have the front bumper repaired. The body shop removed the film to make the repair and the insurance company paid to have the film replaced.

2. Putting an essentially water impermeable substance over paint leads me to ask what heat from sunlight will do to the paint. Will it cause the paint to lift?

ANSWER: If the paint is good it will stay that way. It will not lift properly cured paint.

3. Most plastics get brittle in UV light, and many fade from totally clear to brownish clear. Is this stuff going to look ragged and fuzzy after a few years, like old ragtop rear windows?

ANSWER: You are really showing your age now! My former car was 8 years old when I traded it in and the film was still doing its job and looked great. The film resists yellowing because it is made of thermoplastic urethane, a tough, conformable material that is covered by a clear coat layer. The film and clear coat layers contain UV protectants to counteract harmful ultraviolet rays that can cause yellowing.

Answer to your PS:They are available from our friend Steve at Toyotatown in Langley, BC. It is called a Hood Deflector Part #C0500-47004 cost $70.00 Canadian.

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How much are you guys paying for the clear bras and related covering items? Seems to me I saw a website for the stuff and it would cost about 500 bucks to do the whole front end.
    B

5. TJ

TJ New Member

Bob, your right on the money. I purchased the Invinca deluxe kit with 9 pieces for $225 + shipping. A local detailer came to my house to apply it, cost was $250. He did a great job, in about 3 hours and used 3M material he had with him to do my mirrors as well.

I decided to try the clear bra after seeing what it did to my pre-prius car. The car's nose below the hood was disgusting. When I had my Camaro 10 years ago, I'd have the nose repainted every 3 years or so. I'm hoping that the clear bra will achieve the same effect and save me the cost of repainting.

It's really a test. I had tried a traditional bra back in my Camaro days and didn't like dealing with mold from moisture and paint scratching from the trapped dust and dirt.

My car will be at the San Diego meet this Sunday for those who would like to see what the clear bra looks like. And I'll report back to the forum on my experience.

Tom

NOTE: I found a 20% discount code searching through google that saved me a lot on the Invinca Shield.