1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Damage to evaporative emissions system?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by timo27, Oct 10, 2010.

1. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all -

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything that quite answered my question upon searching.

The scenario: I recently filled up at a station that, according to the attendant, had just lost electrical power but power had been restored. The pump was flowing agonizingly slowly, so I asked the attendant what was up, and he said the system needed 20 minutes or so to reboot before the pumps would flow at the normal rate--sounds kind of specious to me, but I was in no hurry, so I figured so what, I'd wait it out.

Well, eventually the tank filled up, and then some. The pump's auto-shutoff failed to work (my guess is that the flow rate was so slow that the back pressure failed to build up to the point to trigger it, but, whatever...). Gas was dribbling everywhere by the time I noticed it (since it was taking so long, I wasn't paying close attention).

I don't think a lot of gas was spilled, but, I'm guessing the tank, filler neck, and charcoal evaporative-emissions canister got as full as full can be. I mentioned this to the attendant, and he dismissed my concern of any damage by saying that any damage could only happen if the engine had been running.

(Further info--the car ran well over 200 mi before the first 'pip' dropped off the screen, giving an idea of how 'full' it was. Also, the calculated mpg was 46.3 (worst ever) compared to 56.8 for the admittedly somewhat, but not that much, optimisitic MFD).

So, two questions:

1. - (just out of curiousity) - Is the idea that the evaporative emissions system can only be damaged by overfilling the tank when the engine is running the load of horsesh*t that it sounds to be?

2. - (more important) - How likely is this single event--I always stop when the auto-shutoff kicks in--to damage the evap. system on my car?

Thanks much,
    Tim

2. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not an expert but this is what i think.

1. B.S
    2. I think if you drove away and burned that gas out right away would help lower the chance of doing damage. I think it would be higher if you parked the car for the night right after filling it up that full. So it sounds like ou drove and burned the extra gas soon so your risk should be small.

1 person likes this.
  3. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. Regarding #1, whether BS or HS, I knew I smelled S...

Regarding #2, unfortunately, I gassed up at the end of the day and probably only drove a few miles before parking it overnight (dang the luck). I did do a fair bit of driving the next couple of days, so hopefully that might help. My fear is that I won't know for sure until I get a VEIP test, and by then my chances of demonstrating any damage will be zero.

~T

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    - Don't worry about it.
    - *Always* keep a hand on the nozzle while fueling a car, so you can stop stupid sh!t like this when it happens.

1 person likes this.
  5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think one overfill will damage the charcoal cannister.

1 person likes this.
  6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The fuel system reconfigures when the Prius is in Ready. There are a number of solenoid valves that open and close, which is one of the reasons you shouldn't refuel a running Prius. In this respect the attendant was correct. That said, overfilling can be damaging even when powered off.

As for damage, it is unlikely. Burning off some of the fuel makes it less likely that any liquid fuel will get forced into the evaporative system.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  7. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One time probably won't hurt, but I wouldn't make it a habit. Engine on or off makes no difference.

PC36100 ?

1 person likes this.
  8. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, all, for your info and reassurances. Normally I do keep a close eye(usually hand as well) on the nozzle while it's filling, but this was soooo slooowwww I think I would have frozen in place. So I whiled away the time bantering with the other customers about how strange the whole thing was. Lesson learned, I guess.

p.s. - Tom, thanks for your insight--didn't know that about the Prius (then again, books are filled with what I don't know...).
    Cheers
    ~T

9. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    i over fill every time i gas up my cab no problems yet!!!! 22000km

1 person likes this.
  10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure if Prius or other Toyota's sold outside of North America have the vapour purge system. I suspect they don't, so no damage

Almost all new vehicles now have a vapour purge pump. My '07 FJ Cruiser does, and both the owner manual and shop manual warn about overfilling

The possibility exists of the small electric purge pump drawing in liquid instead of vapour. Could be a fairly expensive repair

The purge pump exists to verify the entire fueling system is air-tight. Under Tier 2 emissions requirements, no evaporative fuel emissions are allowed

1 person likes this.
  11. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How could you fill it without holding the nozzle??? :confused:

12. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many locations allow nozzles with lock-on devices. You stick in the nozzle, pull back the trigger, engage the lock, and walk off to make a phone call. It's a bad idea, but people do it all of the time.

Tom

13. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're kidding?! Laziness trumps safety with highly volatile liquids?

What could you possibly need to do in the two minutes it takes to fill your car?

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It defies imagination, doesn't it. However, there is a bright side. Because some people would actually walk away from their vehicle while it was filling, most states have laws requiring the person doing the fueling to stay nearby. In my home state, Michigan, some English major in the Department of Motor Vehicles wrote the wording for the signs:

I, for one, have always wondered how the nozzle can view me. Does it have an eye? If it does have an eye, how can it see me once I cram it down the filler neck?

I'll never understand how this works. :rolleyes:

Tom

15. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with your gist, but, just to clarify a couple of things:

(1), Yes, in most states in the US there are little 'latches' built in to the trigger to allow you to leave it in place. The pumps have an automatic shut-off, which is supposed to stop the pump when the tank is full, as the pump measures by back pressure. Some states do not allow this--Massachussetts is one, I believe, and if I may infer from Tom's post above, Michigan may be as well. The auto-shutoff kicks in if you are holding it, too, by the way; if it were a matter of squatting down and looking in to listen or look to determine how full it was, I suspect more gasoline would be spilled than otherwise.

(2) - As I indicated in my post, there had been a power outage, which (allegedly, as per the attendant, whose credibility is admittedly not much on this end) resulted in the pumps going slowly--and I do mean it was agonizing--it took a good 15-20 minutes to fill up (it would slow down even more when someone was using another pump at the station). So, it wasn't exactly "two minutes" we're talking about in this particular case--and this was buying just over 9 US gallons; imagine how long it would have taken with a larger vehicle or tank.

But, your overall point is correct. Perhasps incongruously as evidenced by the fact that The Powers Who Wish To Avoid A Locally Undesirable Fireball have, in the US anyway (and I'd guess many other places), installed these automatic shutoff mechanisms (regardless of whether they have the little 'latch' mechanisms that enable the aforementioned laziness...). When they work--which in my experience has been in every case I can remember, with this one exception--they are arguably more precise than most people would be by observing and reacting manually. Probably more important, it lessens the likelihood that some numb-nut wedges the gas cap into the pump trigger to hold it in place while (s)he runs to the bathroom/makes a phone call/stands there harvesting navel lint while contemplating the meaning of life. (I have seen this, though I doubt the contemplation was quite that cerebral.)

Cheers,
    Tim

16. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the laugh. More accurately the sign should probably say "Person filling must stay within range of filth-covered camera 'monitored' by bored, underpaid, nihilistic former English major."

(but maybe, just maybe, the nozzle has eyes on the back of its neck? Someone called 1-800-492-TIPS? Just a thought...)

~T

btw no disrespect intended to English majors or others in any of the Humanities, the contributions of whom are woefully underappreciated, IMO...

17. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a smoke :)

18. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Surely not check your oil or your tire pressures...something else rarely performed in this country.

19. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Oh we have the auto cutoff (who wants to get covered in stinky diesel?), just not the latch. This forum has been a real insight into The American Way for me....!

1 person likes this.