1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Damaged panel

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by SaraBBrown94, Jun 23, 2017.

1. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So driving on the highway home from Cedar Point and the car in front of me shoots a puck of some sort that hits my car. I've had the car less than 1 month and it's already damaged. What can I do about this? I'm afraid to take it through the carwash in fear of it taking more paint off.

Any ideas? :(

There's a good dent and chipped paint.

[​IMG]

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Very sorry to hear and see the damage. I would turn it into your insurance and get an estimate from your dealer. One month is not long enough to keep it like that. It needs to be free.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anybody else can chime in here if they have a better idea, but my suggestion is to take it to a bodyshop and have them repair the damage, it's not cheap but you'll be happier that it's fixed the right way. I've had work done on my old 2015 PIP and it cost about $500.00 so if your deductible is $500.00 you'll end up paying for it

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am about ready to wrap my car in bubble wrap so I don't have to report damage here at some point.

5. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found out when I had my rear tail light fixed the body shop has lower labor rates than a dealer, I went to the dealer first they ordered the part and said it will cost me $700.00 got an estimate from the bodyshop, $500.00 besides dealer's don't do body work, they send it out to their body shop.

6. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Keep us updated on what you decide to do and the repair process if you decide to do that.

7. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Poor Sara, poor Prime!!! I feel your pain.
    I've recounted my adventures with my long awaited new 1987 Alta Romeo Milano Verde which 1 month after I got it, on my birthday in 1987, was center punched by a Huge Lumber Wagon, GMC!!. Get that puppy fixed right away and make sure that you get a "Lifetime Warranty" on materials AND labor. You've got to move on and get your baby well again!!. Good luck!

8. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh no! That sucks. I was rear-ended 2 months after getting my Prius (gen 2 - not the Prime). Bad enough whenever it happens but REALLY hurts when your new family member is so new.

9. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Only problem is I wiped out most my savings account to pay it off. Hopefully that PA rebate gets approved quickly. :O

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rust never sleeps and it's brand new so I'd get it fixed but maybe just a spot fix not the whole fender. That's the tough call. It's new enough that they should be able to do a good color match either way.

Bigger image on the desktop shows this in front of the rear wheel. Hmm.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Be cautious with your insurance. Some companies will raise your rates; it might end up being cheaper if you just pay for the fix and do not file an insurance claim. Or dab some touch up paint on the spot and forget about it.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  12. Ducky

Ducky Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Seriously! I get nervous pulling out into the road in mine each morning. I recoiled from this post like it was a picture of a severed limb. :LOL:

13. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ouch ... I would also suggest to see a couple bodyshops and get some estimates, you might be surprised ...

14. Ducky

Ducky Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Seconding recommendations to get quotes from a couple of sources, it's free and it can't hurt. You can also call your insurance company and ask if it's a claim that would raise your rates - you'd want to check your state's regs, but I'm guessing they can't raise your rate just for asking i.e. informing them that it happened, only based upon claims. If paying for the repair or the deductible isn't plausible until you get your rebate, you might want to stop by the dealership to spend a couple of bucks on a touch-up stick. It won't fix the dent, obviously, but it could help delay the onset of rust while you wait for the check.

I'm sorry this happened - that blue magnetism is gorgeous!

joachimz and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are down to the metal I would get that repaired sooner rather than later. If it is just down to the primer you can wait.

Did the scuff damage the paint or is it something on the surface that can be removed? Any damage to the door?

Visit a couple of collision centers and talk to the guys. If your dealer has one I would start there.

Keep us posted.