1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Damaged plastic on the side, under the car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by unit333, Mar 18, 2014.

1. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi
    So I got stuck a few times over piles of ice during the recent NY winter storm. I got the car unstuck after a couple of back and fourths but I also noticed that the right section of the car, around the middle between rear and front door but under the car is a bit broken up. Turns out it's mostly plastic I was under the impression this section of the car will be solid metal. After all this is around the same section you will use your tools to lift your car and fix a flat...anyhow, nothing is hanging loose it is mostly visible when I look under the car. I am attaching some pictures for an expert advice. Should I epoxy some of these parts so they don't come loose? Definitely skipping the dealer I am sure they will ask for hundreds of dollars...
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's hard to tell by the pics, but it looks to still be fastened to the car via the clips. If it appears to be well connected (tug on it a bit), I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you are concerned that it could come loose, I'm not sure epoxy will adhere. Plastics are tricky with glues and epoxy. Zip ties might provide the best piece of mind. Perhaps you can find a used one or aftermarket online for less than the dealer.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You have apparently torn apart the mounting flange holes that fasten the plastic rocker panel covers to the steel rockers.

I'd make large square fender washers out of 1/16 inch thick or .063 16 gauge aluminum with a corresponding hole in the middle [7mm (11/16 inch approximately) on a Toyota)], get replacement plastic "push-in" plastic rivets from a local dealer and fasten the "fender washers" through the torn plastic rocker cover with them. This will make a stronger mounting than the original.

As for the scratches, I sand and fill them with plastic body filler, and repaint them, if it bothers you.

The two plastic rocker covers, themselves, primed but not painted from Toyota will cost about $750 at the dealer, just for the parts.

4. unit333

unit333 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys!