1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dammit! Melted Rr. Bumper from Exhaust Tip.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SoCalBPrius, May 31, 2012.

1. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

i don't feel sorry him. he made the choice. he lost. move on and learn from it.

it's "messed up" ...really? getting your car totaled is messed up. melting a piece of plastic is not.

then to ask for his money back...please. that's stupid. suck it up pal!!! (he was just venting)

if somebody wanted to "rub his nose in it", they could. it would teach him and everybody else a positive lesson about modding a vehicle. .....caution. And it's a useless forum dynamic for the "wambalance" factor reign over such an insignificant problem. just get to the point and help him/her out.

i've seen this at nasioc where people don't think about the tip getting hot and it ends up melting plastic bumpers....common sense.

they have also let their turbos run rich, which blackens the rear bumper, ruining the finish.

so what's the new/old lesson for everybody?

so from his last post even he has moved on....try it.

i win!

here's my cookie

[​IMG]

2. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    to OP

if you don't want to buy parts from a dealer try www.parts.com

another thought is that maybe it's time, even though it costs a lot more, to add front and rear lower spoilers?

3. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I know the pic. a little deceiving because of the 2-d layout. It is a design flaw especially if in fact it was made for a 2010-2011 prius as he stated. When I get a confirmation from the seller before I purchased it that it will fit the 2011 prius & realize after I install it that it is too short & is angled & points upwards, I have 1 of 3 choices:1) return the product back(which I didn't think would be worth since I had to consider shipping to china & his shipping was free), 2)keep it & not install it or 3)install it. Obviously, I chose the latter & take full responsibility knowing it didn't quite look right & left it on there for about 2 weeks w/ no problem(as my longest commute was 20 miles to work). Then, on the approx. 200 mile trip back from Pismo Beach on memorial day weekend, I hit bumper to bumper traffic along the 101 for a long portion. This trip back is where I'm positive the burning/melting resulted:(. Like I already said, lesson learned. I definitely don't want others to go through this as he(seller) still has this auction out there despite him telling me he took the listing off immediately after I told him to do so. He even told me he'll refund what I paid without me having to ship his exhaust back. After initial quick responses, I have yet to hear back from him after confirming that I would want that. I doubt that too as alot of his words are becoming nothing but lip service.

4. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AZ, thanks for the support & kind words:). Some people no matter what have the need to kick or belittle others while their down.

5. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you payed with paypal I would go ahead and start a dispute, once you've given the seller a reasonable amount of time to refund your money.

SoCalBPrius likes this.
  6. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    SoCal, I wonder if the one you bought was the same as this one. If it is the same then at least you didn't pay 3x the amount for a similar result.

7. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually saw that one after I bought mine & think it would work much better as I don't see the dramatic bend on the shaft (big angle) like mine. If I knew for sure it wouldn't cause any problems & had the right fit & look, I would gladly pay that amount. I jus don't wanna be the guinea pig anymore;).

8. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I guess the eBay pic does show a pretty sharp angle to it. The juicedhybrid one makes it look like it is fairly straight but it is hard to tell from their picture since it doesn't show the back where you attach it. I want to try this one out but I'm a little nervous now after what happened to yours. I'd probably be paranoid about it. Maybe I can find someone else on the forum who has it already. Do you remember what the clearance from the bumper was on yours when it was installed? With that sharp of an angle it must have been less than 1/2 inch clearance. At least that's what it looks like in your pictures.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for warning everybody.

Is there only one way to install the part ?

10. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the 1 pic. of it makes it hard to tell & I'd be curious to know how long it is, as in will it be about the same as the one I have & if so u may still have some too much heat to the plastic problem. The clearance was a tad less than 1/2 an inch so it was pretty close but what made it worse was that it pointed right towards the bumper bottom. Which leads me to believe that 1 from juicedhybrid would be fine if that limited pic. is accurate.

11. McLintock!

McLintock! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Someone put that same $20 tip from eBay on their Prius v. This thread has the pictures. Look how much farther away it is from the bumper compared to yours. It is a big difference. I guess the v doesn't have that black plastic. Even without it, it just looks like the clearance is significantly more on the Prius v in general. It looks like it could be 1.5-2.0 inches clearance on the v.

SoCalBPrius likes this.
  12. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The way it's designed, it's meant to go 1 way which makes it point upward but u can turn it the other way where it will excessively point downwards because of the angle of the tip in addition to the stock downward muffler configuration. I tried intalling it that way but just couldn't stand it as it looked goofy:oops:. Here is another pic. of the tip which might give u an idea.

Attached Files:

13. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it looks to be the same or very similar. Definitely he has a lot more clearance than mine & plus the way it attaches on to the stock muffler, it is a lot better in how it comes naturally straight out in contrast to mine. I don't see him having much problem, at least not to anything close to the issue I had. If mine looked like that I wouldn't worry :).

14. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What's the point of the exhaust tip? It doesn't make it faster. It doesn't change the exhaust sound.

15. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's the point in alot of the accessories we put on the outer part of our prius? If u don't know the answer, there's no point in explaining. Is there any mod/accessory that will make our prius faster? Regardless, I never said anything about wanting faster or making a cool high note sound. If I wanted that I would of bought something else. I don't come to your thread & ask what's the point in having the sound system u have, it's just overkill. I'm sure u would feel that's ill-mannered. Lets just say to each their own & leave it that.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The look, no doubt.

An exhaust tip seems a lot more benign (and cheaper) than the wheel and tyre choices I keep reading about. Now if someone could explain the 'exhaust note' I would be much obliged. WHAT is attractive about a loud fart ?

SoCalBPrius likes this.
  17. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The old Geo I bought had a burnt section in the rear bumper cover from a time when the muffler came undone and was touching...what you described is what I did to it...and then added a larger chrome tip to the new muffler so the opening did not look out of place.

18. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    chillax dude, it's a simple question. You don't have to take it out on me because your exhaust tip melted your bumper.

19. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm chilled & I'm over it duude. U need to chill w/ your dumb sarcastic question.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you've been around this forum long enough to know that there are many products that are nothing more than cosmetic. Exhaust tips, brake caliper covers, fake wood dash trim, etc. Personally, I don't like these types of products but there's obviously a market for them.