1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dampening the center speaker?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by neon tetra, Apr 30, 2008.

1. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've read a lot of posts saying that they took out the center speaker & the system sounded better.
    I tried this today by simply putting a vinyl bag over it & it did sound better.

So I'm thinking - would I be better off just using some material to dampen it/cut out the high frequencies? This way some of the lower frequencies would still be there, which aren't as directional as the treble is.
    I may just try to find some material around the house.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that sounds like a decent idea...I've had mine disconnected for a long time (3-4 years).
    Let us know how it works out and how you implement it.

3. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    eh... when I disconnected it I realized that the speaker is attached to the grille. Bit more of a project than I feel like doing right now, esp. b/c I think it does sound better without it.
    I went back & forth a few times, and with the center speaker on I have to set the fader to the rear at least 2-3 notches to make it sound decent. With the speaker off, even 1 notch sounds good.
    It's just too much from that center area, and it does take away from the corners.

I'm sure I'll mess w/ it again sometime, but I'm leaving it off for now. At least it's easy to get to.
    :)

I'm also wondering if the other speakers will get slightly more power now from the amp, or if it just allots X% of power per channel.

I think I'm thinking about this too much :D

All I know is I'm still on my 1st 100 miles & it's so much fun to drive!