1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dan Rather's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Robert Taylor, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    "Fake but accurate" is hardly a difficult concept is it?

I could produce fake photos of Clinton and Lewinsky in the White House or fake photos of the US torturing and murdering Iraqi captives.

If you manage to prove the photos are fake it doesn't mean you've managed to prove the events depicted didn't happen. Basic logic.

Of course, many people can't understand that, which is why producing fake replicas of real documents showing Bush getting favours to get into the National Guard is such a cunning ruse.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

Thanks KMO for that intelligent reply.

I'd like to add that the woman who was the secretary at the time and would have been the one to type the documents in question testified that she did in fact type documents very much like the ones in question and that what was in those documents was factually correct. However, that the documents produced by CBS were not the ones she typed. I know this because I saw the interview. And many others have testified that Bush's files were purged over the years.

Sounds like the words "fake but accurate" fit quite nicely.

But the story has now been changed from what Bush got away with in the 1970's to what Rather did in 2004. The propaganda machine worked brilliantly and will follow Rather the rest of his life.

And this has served to silence anyone who gets too critical of the man who has done more to promote the corporate takeover of America than any President since the 19th century.

Our media is more centrally owned and "corporate" and the wishes of the corporations now come first. Sorry, I don't see that as a coincidence.

Rather just had to go. And his current constant humiliation over and over in the corporate media will serve to keep anyone else with a story that points out that our emperor has no clothes cowered and scared.

Simply brilliant. Herman Goebbels would be proud.

4. pepa

pepa New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO\";p=\"68630)</div>
    Are you saying that if photo of me robbing bank is proven to be fake (and it's the only evidence), I should be found guilty anyway? Some "basic logic" you got there, Sir.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    "And it's the only evidence"? Bad analogy.

A better analogy would be if there were 2 eyewitnesses linking pepa to the robbery, and a gun and a suspiciously large amount of money were found in his possession, then he would be worth investigating.

If some anonymous person then hands you a photo of him in the robbery, but it's found to be fake, does that let him pepa off the hook? Does it mean all the other evidence should be ignored, and it's not worth investigating further? Of course not.

If you seriously believe "and it's the only evidence" applies to the Bush case, you've been spectacularly ill-served by your media. I suspect many Americans don't realise how bad their news services in particular are. When I've visited the US, I've found the TV news reports scarily uninformative.

6. pepa

pepa New Member

Feel free to present the "evidence", as it relates to the Dan Rather "documents", that you in that well-informed GB know about and we don't.

By the way - I visit GB, Ireland and other European countries on regular basis several times a year, and I just don't see why you consider your TV news coverage so much superior to ours. Sure, we do not cover British House of Commons and French parliament as much - but that's because we do not really care. So sue us.

7. ssmithri

ssmithri New Member

Yea... and we have Fox News. They are fair and balanced and I never see any of that foreign crap there (unless they are asking us to bail their sorry butts out of another mess).

If it was important, it would be on Fox News. Ask Sufferin'... he'll tell yea.

8. pepa

pepa New Member

Are you interested in all that "foreign crap"?

Hey - I got solution for ya!

Get Dish Network and subscribe, for all I care, to Al Jazeera, if that's your cup of coffee. Or one of the other 100+ foreign real-time TV stations.

If you want "fair and balanced", though, you'll have to do your homeworks - that applies to US, UK, Russia and Zimbabwe all the same. It does not apply to all nations mind you - millions are still not as lucky to live in such a "fascist regime" as we are (and as you folks like to call it nowadays).

Fox news is not any different from any other news networks - what pisses you guys is that they're the only ones to dare to present conservative point of view from time to time - for there was no such thing to bother with in US mainstream media for decades.

What a pesky menace, isn't it.

Tough. Guess you'll have to learn to live with it.

9. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Gunga Dan and his co-conspirators at CBS have been forced out because they based a story upon fake documents that the document examiners CBS hired had already told them were problem ridden.

In their haste to make a fraudulent case against Bush, they ignored the advice of the experts they hired and blundered right along. Had they a story built around some substantial documentary evidence they would still be at CBS and not be GONE.

All of this happened because of the deep political bias they harbored.

News organizations should be like political conservatives. Don't trust any politician and hang the dirty laundry out on all of them, but made sure its CORRECT, not fake! Attacking one political party only ust sets up Democrats for one fall after another because if the complicit media did the job riight then there would be no ammo for Republicans to hurl in these general elections. Democrats would be better off to face hard questions instead of fawning softballs, expos'es instead of coverups, and a wary eye instead of the blind trust.

A media that wasn't fawning over the darlings of the left would never accept some idiotic lie like that told by Barney Frank when he said that he had no idea that the constantly ringing phone in his house was a male call girl service! Liberal fawning media need to clean out the garbage from the ranks of the Democrats like they do Republicans and do the country a favor, and the Democrat Party a favor too. A Republican Bill Clinton would NEVER get a pass on his lifelong habit of abandoning the duties of his office to chase women.

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    pepa,

An extremely compelling piece of evidence was mentioned by prius04 earlier in the thread.

Go back and read it.

Of course, feel free to stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la" if it makes you feel better.

11. pepa

pepa New Member

You are joking right? One woman said, and some documents were purged.

Could you, please, clarify what exactly is it that this "extremelly compelling evidence" proves?

12. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: Any of you watch Letterman last night (Thu 3/3)? Dave L. had a long interview with Rather... interesting. Much time on the "fake" issue.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually it will serve to keep anyone else with a fabricated story cowered and scared. Any reporter or news organization stupid enough to jeopardize their reputation by trying to prove the emperor has no clothes by showing a doctored picture of the emperor deserves their fate.

Herman Goebbels may have been proud - whoever the F*CK he was.

On the other hand, I would bet that Joseph Goebbels would have been embarrassed of Dan Rather’s feeble attempt at propaganda.
    http://www.psywarrior.com/Goebbels.html

[​IMG]
    YIKES, no doubt where “Herman†Orwell got inspiration for Big Brother.

[​IMG]

Chums.

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

I got my Nazi's mixed up. Herman Goering versus Joseph Goebbels. So you are right, this must prove that Dan Rather's story was a lie. And now with your picture above, you've proven that he's a pinko communist too.

But your contention that the the CBS story about George Bush's special treament to get into the Guard has been proved a "fabrication" is quite false. Only one piece of evidence -- an extremenly minor piece -- has been proven so and the person who typed the real one has vouched even for that documents existence.

Suggesting that that fabricated document proves that the whole story was fabricated is like saying if I made a fabricated picture of a Japanese plane attacking Pearl Harbor then this would serve as proof that Pearl Harbor was never attacked.

15. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

There was no "special treatment" because the Air National Guard was actually short of fighter pilots, there was NO waiting list to become a fighter pilot for those that qualified. The training regime was a long one and the wing Bush joined had part of it sent to Vietnam. The wing flew combat air defense missions in its role as the primary defense of US airspace for the Gulf area.

The Air Guard was delighted to get someone willing to do that long training, they were SHORT on pilots, few wanted to do the time on active duty for the training with a wing that was partially called up for active Vietnam combat.

The entire premise about Bush getting favorable treatment to get into the Air National Guard is a fraud, a proven fraud, a total fraud. Only the seriously ignorant of the facts can make the statement that Bush got favorable treatment to get into an Air Guard wing that was already half in Vietnam on combat (this I checked myself, it is in the official history of the Air Guard Wing), a training cycle that took as long as an active duty draft commitment.

Few wanted to join a unit where the time commitment was just as long as the draft service period, into a unit half in combat. The entire claim Bush pulled strings to get into that tough training is just idiotic, its like saying someone pulled strings to get into a fast food management training program.

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My pointing out that your Goering/Goebbels mixup only brings to question the validity and your ability to use the statement that “Herman Goebbels would be proud†- and to a larger extent the credibility behind your overall anti Bush vitriol. The Rather/Castro picture does not in itself prove Rather is a pinko communist, but it does add to the credibility that he is “Rather Biased†toward the left. But to call the fake document “ an extreme[n]ly minor piece†is hyperbole at its ugly politic best. When something as important as the presidential election is put at risk because of fake photocopies, “minor†is hardly the word I would use. Nor should CBS have portrayed it as a “smoking gun.â€

Please don’t put words in my mouth. I never “contended†the entire See B.S. “story†was a fabrication. The document itself was fake. But more importantly it brings to light that there are those (Rather included) who would stoop to any level to try to “prove†their political point - truth be damned - by trying to fabricate truths.

I never fault anyone for the character of their military service - that is as long as they did serve and were honorably discharged. It takes many people and many types of people to make the military run smoothly. I myself would have never made a good “desk jockey†or Navy Seal. I have met desk jockeys who try to pass themselves off as battle tough warriors and I have also met “Meat Eater†Navy Seals who are some of the nicest, down to earth people you could ever hope to meet. Both types “serve†their purpose.

Al Gore: Army reporter in Vietnam.
    John Kerrey: Navy gunboat officer in Vietnam.
    George W. Bush: Texas Air National Guard pilot.

Maybe W. got special treatment in being assigned to the National Guard, maybe he didn’t. Maybe Gore actually did lie his way into being an Army reporter. And there is no question of whether or not Kerrey served the military while in the military. (What he did after his military service is another story.)

Either way they all served in some capacity or another.

You people who are so bent in your attempt to label Bush a draft dodger, I have a couple of questions:

Where were you when Clinton was running for President?
    There was your draft dodger!
    http://www.gmasw.com/clinton.htm
    http://members.aol.com/warlibrary/draft.htm

Were you being high and mighty in protecting the position of Commander-in-Chief from being occupied by a draft dodger?
    Did you protest with the same zeal as you do today?
    If not, Why?
    Political favoritism?
    Or is it that you hate the military anyway - so whatever it takes to get your candidate elected is OK with you?