1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dang It! Cutty Sark burns. . .

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, May 21, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 22 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]447774[/snapback]</div>
    I am quite fortunate and have never been seasick in my life. I used to harpoon swordfish back in the late 70's. We were out of Newport Beach, CA and went to sea for 7-14 days at a time. During the off season I would work as a deckhand on a sportfisher, did this for almost 3 years. To this day I can not sleep well without some kind of droning noise in the background that is similar to the sound of an engine or generator. Rocking motion would be nice but my wife has got to draw the line somewhere. :p

Wildkow

p.s. Hey where are the pics of your EV?

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ May 22 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]447469[/snapback]</div>
    I can't find the source now, sorry, I'm sure I jumped the gun on this one. Police still checking arson as a reason for the fire.

Wildkow

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 23 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]448309[/snapback]</div>
    Might also have been a careless boatyard worker with a torch or some similar kind of accident- those things happen.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 22 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]447304[/snapback]</div>
    Or at least, keelhauled!

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 23 2007, 08:40 AM) [snapback]448198[/snapback]</div>
    How do you keep a finger dead stable while on a rocking, heaving boat?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 23 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]448283[/snapback]</div>
    Here.

I also made a video for YouTube, but it was awfully windy that day, and then I didn't like my intro to it, so it's on hold. The still pics give a better idea of it anyway.

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 23 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]448506[/snapback]</div>
    It's a point of reference that requires no eye movement. You and your finger could be wobbling and rocking all over the map, but your eyes locked onto your stationary (with respect to yourself) finger stops the brain from trying to correlate eye movement with the visual field. And it stops dizziness instantly because your eyes stop trying to follow a false impression of a rotating visual field. I believe staring at anything stationary with respect to yourself would achieve the same effect so long as nothing else in the visual field was moving. Close focus blurs most of the external world, so dulls that stimulus while the sharp image of what's in close focus triggers the brain to stop trying to "track" a seemingly whirling outside world. You could stare at a ship's rail stanchion, if close enough to it that it would require focusing your eyes to something less than infinity (only a few yards). You and the stanchion would be stationary with respect to each other, even if the sea beyond were hell's own maelstrom.

Hope that helps - it's a phenomenon that works is all I really know and I'm just guessing at the mechanisms involved. Whether it could diminish or banish motion sickness is also just a guess - but worth a try in any case.

MB

(addendum] Just thinking this through a little more leads me to believe it could also exacerbate things rather than help, in that by "tricking" the brain into seeing a "stationary" world, it'll try to correlate the stationary visual stimulus with a very real motion stimulus still coming in loud and insistent from the semi-circular canals. So it may not work. But I'd still give it a try - the outcome would increase your knowledge of what works and what doesn't, and help steer you toward things that could work.

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 23 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]448314[/snapback]</div>
    Probably not at 4:30 AM GMT. Long time to be smoldering from Friday night until early Monday AM, assuming they weren't working weekends on the restoration.

She was the most beautiful of ships. I visited her at least 5 times on trips to England. Also had the Revell model as a kid and bought the detailed "plans" they had for sale on board.

- Tom