1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dang, nail in my tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Oct 31, 2007.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "wasting time and then I've gotta break in one new tire"

Felt worse when I drove one into a curb in Lexington KY, as it was totally self-inflicted. Just give the new one 500 miles on each front position and it will be suitably 'deburred'. After that, if you are one who rotates according to tread depth, it can spend more time in front and the 3 others will ultimately last longer.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the other three tires are replaced, you could get a spare wheel and mount the best, worn tire as full-size spare. This is what I've do with my tire changes. The least worn tire is kept and is now on a full size, alloy wheel bought from a salvage.

Bob Wilson

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may well do that...perhaps just use this new tire and put 4 new ones on in another 30-40k miles....but I may be getting a new car (?Volt) by then...who knows.

In any case, for those who give a crap about my pointless personal saga, went to Sam's bright and early this morning, the service writer took one look at the chalk marks that Wal-mart had made on the tire and ordered the replacement (<$50)...may be here by Friday. I hope so b/c I seem to be losing air at a faster rate...lost 10psi in ~12 hours yesterday. And that undersize spare is just not an option!

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We discovered our spare van tire was kaput at 2:00 AM in the middle of Georgia in the early 1990s. I'd just managed to get off the highway and pulled into a 'stop and rob' to do the change. Looking at the two, disgusting tires, I decided to use one of those cans of 'instant' fix on the less-bad tire. Sure enough, it held pressure and we got home.

Then next day or so, I went to my favorite tire shop and told them about the can of 'instant' fix because they often use butane as the propellant.

It isn't as if the old tire is really going to be used again. The 'instant' fix sealant is a little messy but if you let them know about it, they can deal with it better than if it is a surprise.

Just make sure no one smoking with a 'plug kit' approaches the tire.

Bob Wilson

5. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 5 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]534956[/snapback]</div>
    Evan, are you going to replace just one? I had an Acura CL that I alternated pairs of new tires due to early damage on one at around 40K. The idea bugged my tire guys, but seemed to be fine. My daughter drives it now with 180K and several tire pair relacements along the way.

BTY, the yellow color looks butt-ugly only on that blue car of yours....check it out on a Super White sometime...not so bad!

Lee

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Nov 6 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]535767[/snapback]</div>
    I've used those 'instant' fix sealants like Inflate-A-Tire a lot, and normally keep a full can in my car at all times. Unfortunately, however, I can't use those sealants on my Prius or any other car with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems in the wheels/valves (the sealant gunks up and damages the sensor).

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That picture wasn't mine! But yea it looks bad. I'm still going on the leaky one. I'm just replacing the one..not ideal, but just can't justify another $110 tire when there's at least another 40k miles on the ones on the car.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 5 2007, 05:43 AM) [snapback]534889[/snapback]</div>
    Evan... you are doing 50 psi??

i have had 3 flats in two Priuses....(yes that is a direct reflection on the growth rate in my area... it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid construction sites) all were repaired free of charge at Les Schwab Tires. they do free flat tire repair for anyone.

only thing i dont like is that TPMS didnt tell me i was low until tire pressure was at 24 psi... since i set it at 40... was hoping for a warning a LOT earlier....like 32 maybe

as far as airing it up. (one tire i drove on for 3 weeks before getting around to fixing it) i have a 12 volt tire change kit with compressor and air impact... i just pump her up at work on a 10 min break... kinda just hanging out munching granola bars and chugging java...

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For about the past month I've been running 50f/48r

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Nov 13 2007, 06:42 AM) [snapback]538847[/snapback]</div>
    hmmm...tempting... what is your mileage improvement? and would you do it on the stock tires?

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nearly a month later the saga is finally (I think) over...Sam's Club warehouse didn't have any more HydroEdge tires...took a week to figure that out for some reason. The local club is a pretty good place and they managed to find another club that had some in stock and managed to snag one for me...but that meant another full week for it to arrive. Got the call today and went straight in.

Can't tell that it's creating a huge mpg hit though I didn't get quite the expected mpg on the way home considering we're having a brief warm spell here, but I also didn't drop any (67.3).

Overall I have to say that the Wal-mart/Sam's Club service was good, I didn't enjoy airing the tire up every day for 2+ weeks, but ultimately they gave me good service, no hassles and I have a new tire prorated under the warranty.

12. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i had a screw in my tire new prius with 20,000 miles and i went to americas tire store, the nearest firestone dealer ( i have turanzas)
    and they did me a favor and gave me a flat repair for free without
    buying the tires there or getting a road hazard warranty, cool
    customer service

i went to sears and i couldnt get past the "turanzas" and they guy just
    told me up front they dont sell them there

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not directly relevant to issues that crop up on the outer
    circumference of the tire, but y'all may want to also pay a bit of
    attention to things a little farther inside the circle as discussed
    here. I'm starting the process of getting it dealt with today.
    _H*

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rigormortis @ Nov 28 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]545137[/snapback]</div>
    Was it crowded & cramped?