1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dangerous animals

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Dec 24, 2019.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Even though there may be more seasonally appropriate Mental Flooses to link, I chose this one:

The Animal Most Likely to Kill You in Each State | Mental Floss

It escaped my noticed when presented 2018 Jan. This most peculiar thing seems to be "bitten or crushed by larger reptiles" in Illinois and Missouri. Are those states home to unusually large numbers of alligators or crocodiles? Or are they unusually safe in terms of other animals?

Further down that page, see globally dangerous animals. Mosquitoes and humans would seem obvious, but notice snails. For their gifts beyond 'schisto', see this:

Snail-borne parasitic diseases: an update on global epidemiological distribution, transmission interruption and control methods | Infectious Diseases of Poverty | Full Text

Or don't. No comfort and joy there, for people who splash about in dangerous waters.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I went to the original link Man vs Beast: The Odds of Dying by an Animal Where You Live... found this quote.
    "Surprisingly, your chance of being crushed or bitten by reptiles is highest in Missouri and Illinois. " but no further explanation.
    Yeah, want to know what reptile large enough to crush a human being lives in Illinois? o_Oo_Oo_O

Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 8.30.45 PM.png

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have not been able to take it much further. CDC wonder website indicates 15 such fatalities in IL and 11 in MO, over a time frame I did not note. It seems instead to be a lack of other animal mortality causes. Somehow IL and MO folks seem to avoid driving into deer, or getting sufficiently mauled by dogs.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Part of the legend key was missing at #2:
    upload_2019-12-24_18-19-32.png

Mendel Leisk and Salamander_King like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I went to CDC site and did the search myself. When I searched underlying cause of death during 1999-2017 by states using "The death caused by ICD-10 code >W59 (Bitten or crushed by other reptiles)" as search criteria, you get only Illinois and Missouri in the results. This means, other states have less than 10 deaths caused by the Bitten or crushed by other reptiles.

So it's not just because of a lack of other animal mortality causes in those two states, they are much higher in the incidents of death caused by Bitten or crushed by other reptiles compared to other states.

Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 8.48.25 PM.png

#5 Salamander_King, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In fact, if I do search with
    >W54 (Bitten or struck by dog), I get Illinois (18), Missouri (10). Those numbers are higher than many other states not included in the result table.
    Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 10.31.06 PM.png
    or do the search with
    >W55 (Bitten or struck by other mammals), I get Illinois (17), Missouri (29). Again, the numbers are higher than in many other states.

Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 10.33.47 PM.png

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I couldn't capture in a sngle screen.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've taken to using CTRL- (Ctrl and minus keys) to shrink images to get about to get them to fit within a single screen capture.

#8 fuzzy1, Dec 24, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    Salamander_King likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2019-12-24_19-58-58.png

In other countries, I believe these represent animals directly attacking people. But in the U.S., I suspect it is more a matter of deer 'attacking' fast moving cars, with people being collateral damage. And the U.S. has the world's highest population of fast moving cars.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hate to say it (because I posted it), but this is looking very fake-newsy.

fuzzy1 and Salamander_King like this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not surprising for this type of article.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would hope at the last CDC data are not "fake". The interpretation by the writer of news was maybe dubious. That being said, the question still remains what reptiles caused more than 10 deaths in Illinois and Missouri???

fuzzy1 likes this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Those who also went to CDC already know they have a category 'floor' of 10 deaths. If less it is not reported. Privacy concerns (which sounds a bit off to me). So, only 2 states had enough alligator or croc attacks. FL folks must be more accustomed to that particular hazard.

Anyway, IL and MO had more deaths by dog (so I remember) but whoever made the (low) info graphic just like the idea of including a different symbol or icon.

Actually I'd have thought mental floss ports things a bit more carefully, but...

Anyway, see a large crocigator, and plan your exit strategy. In any state.

fuzzy1 and Salamander_King like this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that legitimate researchers can coordinate with the CDC to get the suppressed figures below that floor. The CDC isn't going to put them on up on the uncontrolled public portals where just anyone can ignore privacy rules.

But not all 'researchers' putting out stories with media kits bother to ask. And that missed step may cause selection bias. I've seen multiple headlines from folks studying connections between certain types of policies and certain injuries, but didn't ask for the missing figures. And this data suppression floor ends up excluding too many jurisdictions with desirably low injury rates from the comparison, very likely skewing the offered conclusions. At minimum, these excluded areas could be included into relevant larger aggregations, but doing so would require contacting and working with the CDC.
    In my region, planning should include photos and videos and prompt contact with news media to make the best of one's 15 minutes of fame. No one has ever seen a crocigator in the wild here. Or at least, no one lived to tell or even left behind any physical evidence of their disappearance.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mental Floss: Broken.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not that people don't have alligators, but it was more likely some other large reptile 'pet'. Guy I knew in college had a pair of reticulated pythons large enough to knock over a full floor to ceiling china cabinet. Read about a 6 foot constricter killing a 12 year old in his sleep, so the snakes don't have to be headline big to be dangerous.

Then the death might not have to be instant to count. Komodo dragons aren't the only monitor lizard, or reptile, with an infectious bite.

I'm actualy more curious as to what exactly is a dog strike. Stray jumping into a jet engine? Any dog attack made by a boxer?

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I am amenable to the notion that large reptile/herptile could be other than crocigator. But not Komodo - nobody takes those as pets. SRSLY.

Snakes as pets are given heat lamps and all the food they care to eat. They grow quickly.

Snapping turtles can (and do) reduce keepers' finger counts. More than that, I suppose not.

==
    I lack a sensible fear of large random dogs, having known too many friendly ones.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Nile and Savannah monitors are, or were, has I have been out of the field for some time, common in the pet trade. The former can get reach 7 feet. Other, sizeable monitor species have been available. I don't think any can be said to have a clean bite.
    Ronald Huff who was eaten by his pet monitor lizards 'was killed by the 6ft creatures when a BITE became infected'

Tegus also have a powerful bite, and are aggressive.

Though mainly a herbivore, large iguanas shouldn't be trifled with. Their tails and claws have left people disfigured. They and other lizards may actually be venomous.
    Lizards' poisonous secret is revealed | New Scientist

19. Archerwell

Archerwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I have never seen monitor lizards in my life, but for some reason I was always afraid of them.